Has Zegerid or Magnesium helped with reflux

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
christyn
Regular User

Has Zegerid or Magnesium helped with reflux

Postby christyn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I am happy to say that I am getting better every day but in trying to test my diet I am getting reflux every time I try something new. I go back to basics for a week and then try again but the reflux will show up again. Saw my GI doctor today and he told me to take Zegerid as needed before I go to bed. In researching the drug I see it is a PPI. I was on Protonix for 13 years and think it may have contributed to me getting cdiff along with the clindamycin I took to get rid of an infected pilonidal cyst.

My nutritionist is suggesting Magnesium supplements for 3-5 days but I read it can cause digestive issues. I am very confused what direction to go so I can continue to add new foods to my diet.

Anyone have experience with Zegerid? Can I really take one pill and expect relief without putting me at risk again?

Has anyone taken Magnesium supplements and received relief for reflux?

Thanks as always for the amazing advice.

Christy

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Has Zegerid or Magnesium helped with reflux

Postby NanciT » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:09 am

Hi
I have not taken Zegerid but did start on Magnesium when I got off Aciphex.
I continued to have issues Post CDIFF after getting myself off Aciphex(PPI). I was on it a few years before CDIFF and slowly went off it. I had been taking Magnesium but it did not seem to help along with Pepcid ( H2). I thought things were ok, still had issues after eating even mild things. I recently developed gastritis and then ended up in the hospital with a esophageal spasm. I guess I kept trying to make the Pepcid work but after an endoscopy I am now back on Aciphex( 1/day) and much better. Its tough to know what to do. I saw a total of 4 GI's along my One year CDIFF journey and all 4 told me not to get off aciphex. They felt it was the Augmentin that landed me with CDIFF and explained I could be more prone to CDIFF if taking an antibiotic.
Its very difficult to know what to do, I am not sure how long I will stay on aciphex.
In my case I have to weigh the risk along with the risk of esophageal damage. Wish I would be of more help. I also want to mention I tried Apple Cider Vinegar which helped right away but was only temporary.
NanciT

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:08 am

NancyIT, Thanks so much for the reply.

It has been very difficult to know what to do to stay healthy. Doctors want to treat each symptom instead of looking at the whole picture which is why I consult my nutritionist probably more than my GI doc. But this last suggestion has me questioning his advice.

Your reply is very helpful. Like you, my reflux acts up with the mildest foods and I do not eat the normal triggers. It is comforting to know I am not alone and not crazy. I may try the Apple Cider Vinegar. I tried it before Cdiff and it would make my reflux worse but we all know this disease changes everything you thought was normal.

Christy

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:51 am

Be careful with Apple Cider Vinegar especially if it made you worse. I put only 1 teaspoon in water and sipped it through a straw during a really bad GERD event. I did make sure to have an endoscopy first to rule out any ulcers etc. I think that's really important with any supplement.
I wish I could get off all of it, but I had CDIFF for a year and Vanco or Dificid for that year which I feel made this more difficult to treat. My GI had me up to 8...yes 8 Pepcid a day so I felt it was a lost cause for me to get back on Aciphex. I make sure to eat Activia everyday which I tolerate well. I have also found eating an apple helps. Sometimes its trial and error

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:46 pm

I will be careful for sure!! I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and both were normal. The only thing my GI saw was a small amount of yeast in my esophagus and slight inflammation still in the colon. That was in September 2017. An apple helps me as well when my stomach is upset but doesn't seem to help with the reflux. Luckily the reflux is not keeping me awake at night just uncomfortable during the day. I am going to see another holistic doctor next week hoping he can give me some more tips. I will update if he gives any good tips.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi christyn, by "reflux" do you mean the classic heartburn form of GERD? Or what's known as "silent GERD," which manifests as hoarseness, need for throat clearing, and for some people difficulty swallowing? I've been told I probably have the latter, and several doctors have recommended a PPI up to twice a day. I took a series of three to four PPIs, including Nexium and Protonix, for about 15 years, and suspect that this, along with a course of clindamycin, contributed to my own episode of C. diff. Therefore, I've refused to take PPIs anymore. My PCP thinks that Zantac can be used safely, as it's been around longer than PPIs and hasn't been implicated (so far) in C. diff. (I also suspect that PPIs played a part in my being diagnosed with osteoporosis at a younger age than is typical.)

One non-drug measure that I've found helpful with classic GERD (I don't get heartburn as often as I used to, but do still have it at times) is to chew gum. The saliva production that it triggers is thought to counter GERD. I use regular, sugared gum because sugarless gum contains ingredients that can cause diarrhea. (Those ingredients have a suffix of -itol, e.g., mannitol.) I tried the "natural" type of gum sold in places like Whole Foods, but it has a hard consistency that makes it hard to chew.

I'm going to see a nutritionist about trying some type of GERD-reduction diet, even though I don't have a lot of confidence that this will help, and there seem to be many practitioners who are pushing fad diets for GERD these days. I'd be interested in hearing what the holistic doctor tells you; hope you'll post about it.

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Allison, I have multiple symptoms that will alternate from time to time. Acid comes up in throat that causes irritation, need to clear throat after eating, runny nose without allergies, and heartburn feelings. All I have been told over the years were GERD symptoms. My GI on previous visits recommended Zantac for occasional use but for some reason suggest Zegerid this time. If I had known it was a PPI while I was in the office I would have gotten an answer as to why one versus the other.

I haven't tried the gum yet but have thought about it. But I too will not chew anything but sugared gum because artificial sweeteners give me migraines.

For sure will update after my doc appointment next week. If you get any new insight I would appreciate an update as well. Feel free to PM me.

I am sorry you are having the same issues, but it is comforting to know someone else is in the same boat as me and I am not crazy.

Thanks for the reply.
Christy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:31 am

Christy,

I first developed reflux in 1993 several months after a long episode of c diff. An endoscopy showed a hiatal hernia. I was on a PPI for several years before the correlation with c diff was discovered, I switched to 150 mg of Ranidine (Generic Tagament) twice a day which worked better than the PPI. There is a slight correlation of c diff with acid reducers but not as much as with PPIs.

Magnesium can cause diarrhea.

I bought a book about acid reflux. Many of the "tips" that helped me are listed in CDI - Acid Reflux.

With every good wish.

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:48 am

Bonnie - Thank you. I will look into your tips and suggestions.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”