Worried about continued FMLA after FMT. Still very ill

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Risible
New User

Worried about continued FMLA after FMT. Still very ill

Postby Risible » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:48 pm

I had a FMT 6 days ago and never really felt ‘well’. Prior was on 4 rounds of Vanco since Jan 3rd. Fever continued (100-100.8), and D started back as soon as I ate anything (not hungry, but had some saltines until yesterday when I added plain white rice). The D was explosive (like before FMT), and I’ve gone 5 times since 10am.

Dr ordered another c-diff test and I turned it in this morning. I went on intermittent FMLA 2 weeks ago, because I felt so unwell (and frankly overwhelmed with EVERYTHING).

I’m concerned that if my c-diff comes back negative (which I hope it does), the gastro nurse practitioner (gastro did FMT) won’t approve continued FMLA to cover me until I’m well (hopefully soon). I had a difficult time getting her to approve FMLA to cover me the week before my procedure, even though urgent care sent me by ambulance to ER. I’ve been SICK and trying to work this whole time.

Am I being a baby wanting FMLA? (All that background for one question).

Risible
New User

Re: Worried about continued FMLA after FMT. Still very ill

Postby Risible » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:57 pm

I’m negative! Now wondering if the fever and D are just a horribly irritated colon (4 straight months of D, plus FMT thru colonoscopy probably has done a number).

I’m going to call my dr if I still feel this way tomorrow.

In the meantime, I’ll celebrate this milestone!

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:40 pm

I was very very I'll as well. It seriously took me over a year to get back to as normal as normal is these days. I was on FMLA as well for three months, hospitalized 4 times. I had FMT too. It has been a long recovery.

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:36 pm

Thank you Mindy. As I’m sure with most people here, I’ve never been this ill, so constantly, for so long so I tend to second-guess myself. Thank you for sharing this. I’ve only been on FMLA for 2 weeks, after trying to work through it for 3.5 months.

I talked to the DR this morning and she thinks I have colitis from the months of irritated gut. She’s going to go prescribe something for the D now that I’m negative. (Oh happy day)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Great to hear your test is negative!! It can take time for things to settle down. There are many of us Post CDIFF who get IBS and stick with a simple diet adding foods as things improve. I also took Levsin for the IBS which helped. I continued on VSL#3(just 1) and still take it although my GI felt it was not necessary.
As far as working, it is very individual and some have continued to work throughout, others have taken off during CDIFF and Post. There are so many circumstances and jobs it gets down to what is right for you. I do feel most have no idea about this illness( even MD's and Nurses) and how debilitating it can be.
I hope things improve for you soon
NanciT

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Thank you Nancy. I’m on plain white rice and Ensure (added that about an hour ago- crossing fingers). Things are improving as of today. I’m so thankful.

I’m back at work and hoping to keep it that way. All-in-all, I think being off for two weeks even though I’ve had this since December is pretty good. From Jan to March, I only took off a couple of hours here and there.

I took off full time between my 4th Vanco failure/ER and recovery after FMT (only because of the fever, bowel issues, and just plain run down).

I’m so hopeful right now! I’ve recently learned that I’m going to be a grandma again. So much to look forward to.

Folks, it took a week, but no more D and fevers are few. FMT is simply amazing

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”