New and on second course

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jen1962
New User

New and on second course

Postby Jen1962 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:48 am

Hi I have a history of Crohn’s disease but have been in remission for 15 years. Almost a month ago now I began having diarrhea. I let it go a few days but because it was so severe ( mucous streaked with blood) and going so often 15+ a day I called my GI Dr and requested stool cultures to rule out anything besides Crohns. It came back Positive for C diff. I was put on Flagyl. I firmed things up a bit and I was going now about eight times a day. Finish my ten day course and back to watery diarrhea but no mucous or visible blood. Put on Vancomycin 250mg 4 times a day for 10 days. I’m in the same position. It has firmed things up but having at least eight soft stools of varying size. I have four days left on Vanco. My GI Dr says if I fail this I need a colonoscopy.
I’m disappointed for so many reasons. One is I eat an EXTREMELY healthy diet of Whole Foods plant based. No meat or dairy. The occasional fish and egg whites. I have put multiple autoimmune diseases into remission with this lifestyle I believe. I am also a nurse.
I have always taken a probiotic so today I decided to stop to see if that helps. I know as a nurse how to treat this but nothing is helping. Suggestions?? I have no pain, no nausea, appetite good. Just a feeling of needing to evacuate and fatigue. So frustrated.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: New and on second course

Postby NanciT » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:32 am

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

With the history of Crohns disease, it's difficult to know how your body will react to CDIFF. You mention you are going 8 times a day, I can say usually on Vanco things slow up although you do not have D. That may be why your GI wants to do a colonoscopy, I would confirm what his concerns are. Your heath history can make treating any other GI illness more difficult.
We have many health Care providers on this site including myself and what I have found is there are many GI's and ID's who are not familiar with all current information.
Please review the "Latest Guidelines" just posted by Roy. Flagyl is no longer indicated as first line treatment, take a look and review with your GI what new protocols are being recommended.
It sounds like you are doing everything else you can, some of us can take longer to beat this and with any health history it can take some time.
Hoping things improve for you soon!
NanciT

Jen1962
New User

Postby Jen1962 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks for you prompt response. Yes he ordered Vanco first but pharmacy wanted $1000.00 for it and I was then given the Flagyl. Luckily I found it for $150 at Costco. He really did want me on Vanco first. So kinda my fault on that.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:22 am

If your Dr prescribed liquid vanco (mixed using the IV vials) it's much cheaper, should be around $100 even without insurance.
If they do insist the next step is colonoscopy (Should be a vanco taper or Dificid, unless they suspect other problems.) ask if they will consider doing an FMT at the same time.

Jen1962
New User

Postby Jen1962 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:43 pm

When FMT came up I mentioned I wanted a vegans stool. Lol. Seriously though ....when u r vegan your gut flora is completely different and I thought healthier. Has anyone had trouble from the probiotics while on a Vanco. So far today is a good day ( 5-6 soft stools) and I stopped probiotics.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”