Breast Milk to treat?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
brandy26
New User

Breast Milk to treat?

Postby brandy26 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:10 am

I have heard and read that breast milk can help alleviate and/or treat c diff. I know it sounds crazy to suggest that adults drink breast milk but I am sure some of you have been sick enough to try just about anything. There are websites dedicated to mothers selling their milk and I though I am not recommending this to anyone, it is something to think about. I have a son who has a food restrictive disease and he needed large amounts of breast milk. I was not able to provide enough so I turned to the internet. I met a breastfeeding mom who was selling, bought it, and my son thrived. Any thoughts? I also ran across this article which mentioned some supplements I hadn't heard of yet. https://www.google.com/amp/s/info.drale ... s_amp=true

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: Breast Milk to treat?

Postby MKW » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:26 pm

I am using Metagenics ultra GI replenish. This contains a nature identical human milk oligosaccharide. This is a prebiotic subastance and also binds toxins is my understanding. So this supplement does provide some of the benefit that could be obtained from human breast milk.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:10 am

IMO, "websites dedicated to mothers selling their milk" isn't "something to think about" in relation to C. diff.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:18 am

We had a poster from Brazil years ago who tried breast milk. It didn't work for her. She finally got rid of it with Dificid.

brandy26
New User

Postby brandy26 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:27 am

Ok. Thanks for reply. I just thought because it contains natural antibodies and is very soothing to the stomach, it might be of some help. Thanks for letting me know someone did try it with no luck.

brandy26
New User

Postby brandy26 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:38 am

MKW. Is this prebiotic working well for you?

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:53 pm

I am a year post successful FMT and have SIBO/IBS. I have found the supplement to alleviate a lot of my symptoms. It supposedly has many gut healing properties. So something like this could be beneficial for healing the gut and promoting restoration of good gut flora following c Diff treatment, but not an actual cure for active c Diff infection. I have also read that breasmilk contains beneficial bacteria that is transferred through the lymphatic system to the breast milk. So breast milk does have many fascinating properties to help develop a child’s microbiome and is protective against harmful bacteria.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”