NEW HERE! (Unfortunately)

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Pmort
New User

NEW HERE! (Unfortunately)

Postby Pmort » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Hello all,

I am a 26 year old man and I NEVER imagined I would be on a forum like this. But, I've been researching a lot on C Diff. as I've had it not too long ago, and I stumbled upon this site in the process. I've read a lot of posts and gone through this forum, but I figured I would post a topic myself.

Long story short, I've gotten strep twice in the last month and due to overuse of antibiotics, I contracted C Diff.

I was prescribed Vancomycin for 10 days (125x) per day. During this time, I took the probiotic culturelle and ate a bland diet.

Anyway, the reason why I am posting here is because I'm on day 10 post C Diff. and I have had loose BM's since 5 am EST. Woke up to bad abdominal pain.

I know there are posts are here relating to is it C Diff or IBS, but I've also had to take prilosec recently (day 5) for acid reflux related to the C Diff.

I've also been taking L-Glutamine but I stopped today because I thought maybe it was a contributing factor. I don't want to jump to conclusions but it feels awfully similar to when I had C Diff. I can't tell the difference.

I know people say wait 3 days and I was wondering if maybe I could get some advice or tips from people in similar situations. Thank you for taking time to read this!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: NEW HERE! (Unfortunately)

Postby NanciT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I don't think any of us imagined how we arrived here but you will find a wealth of information on the site and many of us who stay on to help others.

You have just completed the Vanco, we all worry when D sticks it's a relapse. The best thing to do is wait a few days and see if symptoms persist and get worse. If D continues, call your GI. Many do get post IBS and can feel bad one day and fine the next.
The gut takes time to heal, it sounds like you are sticking to a bland diet which I feel really helps.
Sometimes you just need to wait and see how it goes, if things turn and D returns often, then there is a concern of relapse.
Hoping things will slowly improve for you
NanciT

Pmort
New User

Postby Pmort » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Thank you Nanci, I will wait it out through the weekend.

I've taken Pepto Bismol a few times today to contain it. I've had D 7x today and my stomach hurts a lot, doesn't feel like it will stop, but I will see what tomorrow brings.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:17 pm

If you have D that frequently it sounds like a relapse.
I would go to ER today.
the 3 day thing is for mild symptoms, 7xD is not mild.

Pmort
New User

Postby Pmort » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:42 pm

So now I am confused! Should I go to ER? I haven’t read what mild symptoms are. But my D doesn’t feel like it’s getting any better.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Normally I would be the first to say that mild symptoms should not cause concern and go by the 3 day rule.

If you had D 7 times today you should not wait it out. 7 times is not mild.
You should get a Drs advice right away and ER is the fastest way.

Jrditusa
New User

Postby Jrditusa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:02 pm

I’m in the same boat as you and have been off meds for 17 days now. I did get D a few times, but it was limited to once or twice and then back to soft stool. I never had pain either. I think I would go back and get meds if I had D that many times and felt bad.

Pmort
New User

Postby Pmort » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:30 pm

Thank you guys for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I’m at the ER now awaiting results. They said they want to put me back on vancomycin 250mg in IV while I am here then back to the 125mg.

I asked about Dificid but they did not suggest it. I feel like since the vanco didn’t work the first round, it most likely wouldn’t work the second but I could be wrong.

Jrditusa
New User

Postby Jrditusa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:47 pm

I’m not sure, but I think I’ve read that IV Vanco doesn’t work for cdiff and it has to be oral...someone who knows more than me should reply soon

Pmort
New User

Postby Pmort » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:02 pm

They gave me 250mg in liquid form instead. Thank you for reaching out.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Sorry things got worse for you! Make sure to call your GI, I would talk with him and ask about Dificid since you have taken a course of Vanco
Hope you feel better soon!
NanciT

Pmort
New User

Postby Pmort » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:33 am

Thank you NanciT I appreciate it.

I am going to talk to my GI doctor tomorrow. I had serious side effects from vanco (nausea,dizziness, and ringing in ears) so I am hoping to switch to Dificid.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”