Looking for input

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jrditusa
New User

Looking for input

Postby Jrditusa » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi all..I have been a long time lurker but this is my first post. Little history, had cdiff two years ago, cured with one round of flagel. Fast forward to feb, in hospital for kidney stone, given I’ve cephalosporins and three days later it was back. Given 14 days of vancomycin and was doing great for 10 days after and then I decided to have pasta with sauce and meat, and jellybeans..had D two times the next day and then one time the day after that..so I called the GI who tested on day 12 or 13 and I was positive....but D resolved and now 4 days later only going once or twice per day even though still not totally formed,but close and still somewhat yellow. The dr has given me a vancomycin taper script to take if I need it but said basically I could always test positive but not need to treat unless symptoms come back...also stomach is very loud and gurgling,but not really in any pain. Just looking for peoples thoughts as I’m having a little bit of anxiety about not treating or trying to get to “negative “. Thanks so much.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Re: Looking for input

Postby Lid49 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:03 pm

If no Diarrhea and c diff symtoms do not treat in my opinion. Waith do not hurry to treat.
Lidia.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:27 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Generally most GI's or ID's will tell you not to test and go by symptoms. If you have a relapse, treat. It was clear each time when I relapsed, there was no question in my mind.
Unless you are having D, you are probably in recovery. We can't give medical advice only give you are experiences. If it were me, I would wait and if other issues came up, talk with your GI. There are medications for Post IBS. Since you have had CDIFF in the past, it can take time to recover
Hope things improve soon!
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:56 pm

Sounds like your symptoms are more IBS like and not like a relapse . As Lidia said , don't just jump on treatment if your symptoms are resolving , give yourself time to heal . Many people will still test positive after treatment but if their asymptomatic they do not need treatment.

Jrditusa
New User

Postby Jrditusa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:04 am

Thank you so much for the replies, this group is a treasure and over the last two years I have learned so much. It just stinks to still not be “negative” and to always be afraid of the next antibiotic....the anxiety is truly the worst issue for me , with no clear cut answers.

Jrditusa
New User

Postby Jrditusa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:28 pm

Having a hard time with my test being “positive “

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:06 pm

If they told you your test was positive for e.coli it would frighten you as well but almost EVERYONE would test positive.
C.diff is a normal gut bacteria in many people, 1 in 20 of the general population and up 3 in 4 babies carry it.
In hospital 1 in 3 people who have been there 2 weeks would be carrying it.
It's only a disease if it overgrows and even then only if it causes symptoms!

Jrditusa
New User

Postby Jrditusa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks Roy, after lurking here for so long I was hoping you would way in. You’re no nonsense talk is what I really needed, from someone who knows what they are talking about. Really appreciate it!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Jrditusa, your food choices of pasta with meat sauce and jellybeans would have no effect on whether or not C. diff recurs. There's no specific diet to prevent C. diff. The best guideline is to eat whatever you can tolerate without GI distress, which might be a bland diet such as BRAT (bananas/rice/applesauce/toast) for awhile.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Jrditusa
New User

Postby Jrditusa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:20 pm

I know that, but I think it did give meD 2x’s the next day and once the day after that,,,because since then I’m doing well again.. feeling good and working out. Just back to brat diet

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:52 am

Food won't cause a relapse but will cause your damaged gut to over react if its irritated.
Jelly beans? (assuming that's the candy version).
probably full of artificial sweeteners, it's not surprising you ended up on the toilet:-)

Jrditusa
New User

Postby Jrditusa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:31 pm

Ok, so I did not learn my lesson... had lucky charms cereal( ok let’s be real, mostly marshmallows) last night...then this am D 2x then one back to mush but formed... sooo basically I feel okay...still should not treat right? Especially if I seem to be righting myself? Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but my friends have no answers and truthfully are beginning to make fun of me. And I’m 45 years old!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”