Another Newbie with questions

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Mahler
Brand New Poster

Another Newbie with questions

Postby Mahler » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 am

It’s really been a revelation readings posts on this site.They say misery likes company but everyone is good company, caring and very worth listening to. Wonderful! I’ve Had Cdiff for over two months sor. Feels like two hundred years. Not sure how I got it really. Prescribed Augmentin without probiotics but also visiting family at a hospital twice and took seven days of Amoxocyline(?) I had at home (dumb, dumb, dumb, I know.) for congestion/cold that wasnn’t Going way. But diarrhea only started Augmentin which (really stupid) I took for five days before stopping and seeking help. My gastro guy is not so sure the Augmentin is the culprit. Clearly, as an antibiotic stashed and abuser, I am the culprit. I blame
Myself for what I’m going through.
Took Flagyl for just two days and saw nothing happen diarrhea wise. Also it’s aside spectrum antibiotic . That scared me. Changed from gp to gastro and since then been on two courses 250 mg of vanco, one two pills for ten days and the other eight 250 mg. Pills for 14 days. Diarrhea stopped by third day both times
And tolerated it well . Relapsed just several days after finishing. Ran back to gastro in a panic. Fifth day after ending Vanco had a false negative result for Cdiff bacteria and toxin b. Second Sigmoid showed that psuedomembraneous colitis with yellow plaque still in colon, advancing a bit up the colon.
The latest is I’ve just finished a ten day course of Dificid and am eight days diarrhea free but petrified about what’s to be when I go the bathroom next, asking every second when will the intestinal discomfort which has been with me from day one will end, and not knowing what to eat or not and missing
My grandkids bigtime! I’m no kid, just 75 in fact but up to now a fairly healthy one. Exercise regularly, trim at 180 but down and frightened as you can be. As a retired high school teacher, I read Dr. google too
much. All this is in the way of introducing myself and my experience so far. Don’t know if I followed the sites protocal for an intro. Sorry if I did not. Don’t want to focus on what ‘s been with me after this intro. I want to listen to all of you, learn and give support when I can.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Another Newbie with questions

Postby AllisS » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi Mahler. In order to get responses from others on the site you should re-post in the General C. Diff Discussion section. I'd move your post there myself but am not sure how to do so. Perhaps one of the other moderators can help. Alternatively, try copying your post and moving it to that section.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:47 pm

Mahler,
It is a pain to move posts soI am going to leave yours here as this forum gets a lot of attention.

Welcome to the site. Read the first forum for info on how to post and the history of the site.

We are approximately the same age. I am 77. I notice we are both of the "self blaming" generation. It is NOT our fault we contracted this horrible disease. C diff is becoming more prevalent with the increased use of antibiotics. We DID NOT prescribe them for ourselves.

I exercise, too, and it has helped me.- Ask your doc but do not see why you can't see your grand kids. The best protection is good hand washing,

We will all get through this together. "misery loved company.." I used a heating pad - turned down low with an auto shut off - for the pain, There are two anti spaspodics that help some -- Bentyl and Levsin. Ask your doc about them,

C diff is an anxious infection. Some have to resort to an anti anxiety or anti depressant to get through the worst days.

Welcome and keep it touch, I was impressed by the fact you want to help others. With some posters, it is "me, me, me."

Hang in there. You will eventually recover. Wishing you the best.

Risible
New User

Postby Risible » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi there. Not in the place to give advice yet, as I’m still unwell, but I hear you about the grandkids.

I’m absolutely paranoid about having anyone in my house even though I’ve always been a clean-freak. Now I just use bleach a lot more. I have my own bathroom in my master (and live alone), but still...

I have a grandbaby coming in October and I will not touch him or her if I still have this (Lordy, I hope not, but it’s already been 4 months with this stuff).

I hope you get this behind you quickly. I’ve calmed down quite a bit after finding this board and reading every post.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”