Last day of Vanco - Round 1

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Meshell
New User

Last day of Vanco - Round 1

Postby Meshell » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Have been utilizing this site for weeks. Ready to ask some questions. Have not been able to work for 2 weeks. I am 40 and have a 2 and 4 year old. Husband is caring for the boys. This has been so hard!!! Acquired CDIFF after Wisdom Tooth extraction and 2wks of clindimiacin. Had a mild-mod case WBC count was 10.8 but cat scan showed ulcerative colitis. Metro made me seriously ill and switched to Vanco. This is my last day on Vanco.

I’m scared of stopping Vanco. Also currently using kefir and florastor.

1) Other than being super tired and lack of appetite my bm’s are 1x a day in the morning, fully formed, no M for 1 day. I’m on such a good progression, is there any literature supporting extending to 14 days instead of 10? I just don’t want to stop the healing.

2)First day off Vanco will be tomorrow (Saturday). My doc lined up another course of Vanco at my pharmacy just in case. If I start back with symptoms WD, M, should I immediately start the 2nd regimen, especially since my symptoms have been so well controlled?

3) In case of relapse is it protocol to head for the Er to test WBC and get a CT, or just restart vanco.

4) How soon on average does a recurrence happen?

Thank you!!!!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Last day of Vanco - Round 1

Postby NanciT » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

I think most of us worry as we finish medication but it sounds like you have responded well. It is really just time to heal now, often things can take awhile to get energy back, stick with a bland diet until you feel better.
As far as dose, generally it's 10 days, initially I was on 10 days of Vanco. There are alot of people who do well on their first round so give yourself the time to heal

If the D did return ( generally they say wait 3 days) but check with your GI. I am not sure why you would need another CT ect. If it were an actual relapse, I would ask for DIficid.

Wishing you the best!

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:38 am

Healing only starts when meds are finished.
My opinion is that the least amount of meds taken (to kill the active infection) the faster the gut flora returns, prevents a relapse, and completes a cure!
Each extra round of meds actually DOUBLES the chance of relapsing again!

I can't see why a CT scan was done if you have a mild case, (Drs payday possibly!) it's not a lot of use in diagnosing c.diff.
Best it will show is thickening of the colon wall and that could lead to a diagnosis of UC, be cautious about that diagnosis!
Blood tests including WBC are next to USELESS in confirming C.diff.
C.diff is diagnosed using a stool test, and looking at your clinical symptoms.

Meshell
New User

Postby Meshell » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:58 am

Thank you both so much. It’s a very emotional morning. Just took the last vanco. Your encouragement means a lot. Truly! I have been down for so many weeks that my mom in particular is starting in with the accusatory get off your pity party and fight this commentary. Whilst all along I fight more than ever. Eh, some people just don’t get it.

**Roy, You mention to “be cautious about the UC diagnosis”. Could you explain? When I presented to the ER with all my active CDIFF symptoms, WD for 1.5 days, M, Dehydration. They did a stool test, blood work, and cat scan. The c diff test came back positive and the CT led them to diagnose me with UC-CDIFF. Are you suggesting yhat the UC will only be temporary or now a lifelong issue?

Meshell
New User

Postby Meshell » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:13 am

EDIT— I just checked D/C paper work and it says I was treated for ” clostridum difficule colitis”. And the info pamphlet is specifically for Antibiotic associated D -CDIFF.

Glad I looked to reclarify. Thank you again!!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 am

I am sorry you are going through this and not feeling supported. No one really understands how difficult it can be. But now that you took your last pill, this may be it for you! It can take some time to feel better but we have had members here who do so rather quickly.
We all understand the terrible fear of relapse and wanting your life back...it can be very wearing.
We are here to help, look under the Vent section and you will find so many frustrated and in fear. It actually goes along with CDIFF. A GUT/Emotional relationship and it takes time.

Hoping for the Best!
NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:35 pm

I hope you can relax a little now and you can stop worrying about the UC part.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”