Testing

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Terpa
Regular User

Testing

Postby Terpa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:44 am

Hey all my name is Tiffany. I’m 23, female. Post cdiff free for a little over 2 months. Was treated with flagyl for 10 days. No relapse. Starting last Monday I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t sleep. Basically running on about 3 hrs per night from then on. Increased burning, cramping, gas, and pain in abdomen. I’m getting weaker and can hardly eat anything for about 2 days now. I called dr and got a stool kit ordered in case over the weekend the D hit me. It hasn’t yet. No bm since Friday. However my pain just keeps getting worse. So about 30 mins ago I decided to take some milk of magnesium to try and make me go for a stool sample. That being said will the laxative effect the test results? I’m just desperate for some treatment. This pain is all day long and I’m getting weaker.

roy
Administrator

Re: Testing

Postby roy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:14 pm

If you need a laxative to produce a sample it's doubtful if you have c.diff as a disease.
Using a laxative gets around the first rule of testing, NEVER test solid stool.
That rule is there to protect you from a Dr that wants to treat on test results alone.
C.diff is a normal gut inhabitant that only causes disease if it overgrows.
A positive test without classic symptoms (D) does not mean you have clostridium difficile colitis.
Having c.diff in your normal gut flora is not the same as having colitis caused by c.diff, but both will cause a positive test.

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:20 pm

I still think I have it though and that it’s not full blown yet. Bc when I got it I was constipated for 2 days and then bam the d hit. And I’ve had 2 other stool samples since I’ve finished my meds in December bc I thought I was relapsing and those all came out negative. The tests were well past 14 days also. But I wasn’t in severe pain and not sleeping or eating like I am now.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:43 pm

As far as I know, milk of magnesia won't alter the results. When people are constipated, it can give a lot of pain. My mom used to have that. See if your pain lessens after you are able to have a bm.

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:59 pm

I didn’t think I was constipated though bc I was going to the bathroom throughout the week...ok I will see...so far nothing yet... :(

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:22 pm

So I’ve had 2 soft bm’s Since Yesterday. No diarrhea yet so I still haven’t been able to submit a stool sample. Still having abdominal pain and gas. When I pass gas it doesn’t help the abdominal pain either..kinda scary. I’m eating bland so Ik the pain isn’t coming from what I’m eating. my dr put me on lexapro for the depression/anxiety today. And she said it shouldn’t have any gi side effects. I took 4 bacillus coagulans Pills today. Just started them. And I got some VSL3 coming Wednesday. I feel like my body is trying to fight this cdiff from coming back. Last night I somehow slept thru the whole night.(previously had only been getting 3 hrs of sleep per night for 4 nights) I woke up one time though in a hot and sweaty state but went right back to sleep. Do u think if I take these probiotics my body might could fight it? Oh and I’m picking up some kefir tomorrow. Also taking saccromyeces and boulardi 2 pills a day.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:38 am

If you are not having frequent D and you are mostly on the C side it unlikely to be a CDiff relapse and in my opinion testing is pointless.
Be careful with the amount of probiotic you take , it seems that you are taking a lot of them , it's best to just stick to one or two brands , too much probiotic will create more discomfort in your gut and at some point it can actually simulate a relapse.

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:21 pm

Well I did see with my gi dr today. My mom wants some tests ran. Last night I had 3 watery stools. So this morning before my appt I was able to collect my 4th watery stool and submit it. Haven’t got the results yet...I guess I will get a call around 5 when their office closes..they wanna do an EGD to Look at my stomach and also ordered a gallbladder ultrasound which I probably won’t do bc I had one last yr and it was fine. My sister is having sleep issues now too. Waking up around the same times I did. No pain yet. But she won’t talk to me really about her sleep...so I’m still scared it’s the cdiff trying to come back...
Today I’ve had burning mainly in my chest and bladder area. No cramps except for last night. The cramps were awful.. I only slept 3 hrs..yes Georgina I believe you on the taking too much probiotic bc I think that’s what I did last night...possibly why I got those awful cramps...and diarrhea..

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”