Due for colonoscopy, new at c diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
rocnepz
Brand New Poster

Due for colonoscopy, new at c diff

Postby rocnepz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi, first off i hope im not any breaking rule posting new thread, im in absolute dire need of help/suggestion. I will try to keep short n simple. Im 26 years old guy who lives in USA, had mild loose BM for 2 days, like more than month ago, so with adominal pain and all, i went to ER, they did cat scan and er doc told me i might have mild case of diveritcultis and put me on Amoxicillin/clavulanic i think, so with all liquid diet and finishing my dosage of AB for 10 days, i thought i would recover and was due for colonscopy after couple of weeks. As confused and frustrated as i was, beginning to search about it, its kinna made me more sad that it could lead up surgery and many more bouts, but slowly coping it, i was hoping i would fight this with diet n all. I am normally active guy who plays soccer , go to gym , eat relatively healthy etc. So, upon finishing my AB,after 2 weeks, i started having bad bm for several times in a day, so i went er again and doc said i have c diff and put me flagyl for 14 days, i was just heartbroken , like i didnt even know what was happening n all. Already was trying to process DV and hoping Scope wouldnt show something bad, now got case of c diff. Again, doing my little research and being completely clueless, i ate bland diet which i was eating anyways, and order some vsl probiotics and saccharomyces boulardii, kefire n all with antibiotics. Again, i just got done with my antibiotics like 2 days ....just push thro all that nausea, weakness that comes with it. Now, im just again kinna feeling little discouraged to move on. I mean im out touch with my social life, pretty much home, looking for all these treaments, reading ppl forums, suggestions, n all and hoping worst thing dont happen to m and im sorry to bore yall with woes but this whole past month has been really hard plus seems like long way for recovery. So, anyways my general concerns are , will my first round of falgyl take care of it? i was also thinking of fmt but that requires two more recurrent, again only scared of more antibioctics, and what other supplements should i be taking? i read couple ppl forums, i bought broccli max, accidin , slippery elm, l glutamine, vitamin c, saccharomyces boulardii probiotcs, etc etc ...still dunno anything about dosages .... and also read lot about grain free, gluten free diet, i dont really cook :( , and also due for colonscopy in 6/7 days , should i do it? cuz most ppl said wait for it. Im still feeling weak, losing weight , confused about diet and meds going forwards. Damn thats hell of a rant.. but any advice is appreciated and my bad im lil coherent with my words, im not much a good writer.

Megs717
New User

Re: Due for colonoscopy, new at c diff

Postby Megs717 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Welcome to the group that nobody wants to be a part of. Like you, I'm a 30 something girl and WAS completely healthy. I ended up w/C Diff after taking an antibiotic and it hit me like a truck. I dropped weight quick, and felt like I was dying. That said, I wish I had an answer for you. Everyone is different. Most people recover within 1-2 rounds of treatment. I took Flagyl, and that failed. Three days after finishing, I was back at the hospital, far sicker than before. They put me on Vanco, and that's where I am at now. I took 2 full weeks of 4 pills daily, and now I am on a taper. Vanco made me feel FAR better than Flagyl did. I've been relatively normal. By normal I mean, back to work. I still have been pretty much secluded in my house because most foods sit like a ton of bricks. This has brought on anxiety I've never bad before. Every single ache and pain I am very aware of. Since I've started the taper, my stomach has started to hurt again - but after reading so many posts on this site, I've realized dose changes can make ya feel junky for a few days. I am sure my doctor hates me, because I've been rather firm. I know this sucks, so the most I can see is just keep an eye on yourself. If you feel like something is off, be seen. It's frustrating because there are a lot of things like post-infectious IBS which is very common, so I think people often struggle to figure out if their relapsing, or just adjusting to their new normal. But, like everything, this too shall pass. Hang in there. Don't introduce too many supplements/probiotics at once, as those can cause stomach upset as well.

PS) If you do find yourself back in a pickle and they try to give you Flagyl, refuse it. I can't stress that enough. It's garbage, and had I been treated properly the first time, It's possible I wouldn't be in this mess today.
Last edited by Megs717 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

If you started with Diverticulitis I imagine you are seeing a GI. If you have completed the flagyl it is a wait and see. It can take time to recover but hopefully the D is gone. Be careful going online and reading about a ton of supplements. Eat a bland diet for now, take your probiotics and take it easy.
There are several on this site that started this entire thing with Diverticulitis, that is how it started with me. That does not mean you will get that again although I do understand the worry.
Give yourself time to recover and give your GI a call about your concerns and having the colonoscopy so soon. They may feel it's medically necessary to have it now.
I hope you feel better soon
NanciT

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:43 am

You will find that many of us have been emotionally messed up by this disease.. So hang in there. You need to wait and see, recovery is long, but this thing wont last forever. Go retest if your symptoms come back, my gi told me 3 x diarrhea for 3 days its time for retesting. Otherwise hang in there and wait until your intestinal flora recovers.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”