Test is negative but could this be cdiff again?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
klw
New User

Test is negative but could this be cdiff again?

Postby klw » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Hello all. I had cdiff last summer and this board was so helpful and encouraging for me. I was sick for a 3 months, weak for much longer and lost 10 lbs. Even at that, I know my case was so much milder than most people on this forum. But I was so glad when it past.
Since then I have been religious about taking good pro-biotics and I have done well. In fact have been more regular with more normal bm's than I have had in my life. Well up until 4 wks ago. All of a sudden diarrhea hit out of the blue.
At first I hoped it was a virus because a lot of stuff was going around but when it didn't go away, I went to the Dr. I was tested for cdiff along with Salmonella and a few other bacterial infections. All negative. He told me I could take Immodium which I have been doing. Went back in a week and told him still no change. Well, I mean the Immodium does stop it, but withing 36 hrs it comes back. So in other words, without Immodium I have constant diarrhea. Usually about 4 episodes a day. He finally referred me to a GI dr. Well, my appointment is April 12th. So by then I will have had diarrhea for 8 wks. I'm worried about just taking Immodium daily for that long. But don't know what else I can do. Is it possible that it could be cdiff even though the test was negative. One thing though is it doesn't pass the cdiff "smell test". Should I ask them to test again?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Test is negative but could this be cdiff again?

Postby NanciT » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi

I would confirm what you were tested for especially if you continue with D. Ask for all of the lab results. There are many reasons for D, if the CDIFF test was negative then it's not CDIFF. The chances if a false negative are probably slim. Once you get the lab, call the nurse at the GI's office and explain your history of CDIFF and current problems. They may get you in sooner. The other option is to ask the current doctor or his nurse to call the GI for you and ask to get in sooner. Unfortunately today we all need to be our own advocate and kindly ask to move thing through faster if there is a way
Wishing you the best with this
NanciT

klw
New User

Postby klw » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks NancyT. I was planning on calling GI dr Monday. My MD is saying just take Immodium until I get in to GI doc. I was going to ask GI nurse if that's what they recommend and explain that I've already had diarrhea for 4 1/2 weeks and still 3 1/2 till appt. with hopes they would try to get me in sooner. I lost 10 lb last summer which I never gained back. Have lost 3 more now. I'm 5'7". Was 130 lb. Went to 120 last Summer and am now at 117. so its not like I really had it to lose and really don't want to lose anymore. And yes I will ask for my labs from MD on Monday.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:55 am

There is a product called EnteraGam that is a powder that you add to water or juice and it is supposed to take out toxins and build up the gut immune system. It needs a prescription though. I did pretty well with Pepto Bismol. It also has some antimicrobial properties.

klw
New User

Postby klw » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Thank you Beth. I will check it out and then ask my Dr. about it. It is just so strange to me that I was doing so well - like perfect regularity and normal BM's for months and then this just hit out of the blue.

Chitxn
Brand New Poster

Postby Chitxn » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:26 am

This is a response and also something I personally experienced. I had flu then pneumonia in late February.
I told the Dr. I have a history of cdiff so she prescribed the pneumonia antibiotic and Vancomycin together. On the second dose I began reacting like cdiff but not quite diarrhea. After a week she ordered a stool test. It came back negative. I’m clear of pneumonia but the bowel movements are very much like diarrhea now. My Dr. asked if I had still been taking The Vancomycin when the first test was done. I said yes. She said that of course it came back negative. A new test has been ordered now but it’s like a month wasted. I’m now having to take off work because I’m running to bathroom all day. I teach little kids. I haven’t been able to eat much of anything. I can’t even tolerate toast now or applesauce:( My point is that if the test was done while you were taking cdiff meds it could be a faulty reading.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”