Symptoms

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Terpa
Regular User

Symptoms

Postby Terpa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:17 am

Hey all, I am almost 3 months into recovery. I’m starting to get very worried. I’ve had increased gas this week. Woke up twice in the middle of the night feeling nauseous. And tonight I’m going on night 3 of not sleeping well along with waking up in a night sweat. One night I woke up and was passing a ton of gas also, which has never happened to me before. I also had a just mucus stool today and then 2 solid stools. This doesn’t bring me too much comfort though bc the monster can hit anytime. And it could just not have taken over yet. In my head ik all of these could just be the pi-ibs. But I can’t quit worrying bc of the increased gas. I’m passing gas right now as I type this . I’ve also had headaches during the day for the past 3 days. I’ve got an appt with my pcp to get on anxiety meds Monday but what do I do in the meantime?

Terpa
Regular User

Re: Symptoms

Postby Terpa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:21 am

Something inside me is just saying ik I got this again. What do y’all think?
Please pray for me all. I’m also scheduled to work this Monday and I’m scared what if it hits then? I really hate calling out.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Hi, your chances of spontaneously developing C Diff three months after being ok without taking an antibiotic are really low. We all fear this, and honestly I don’t know if that fear will ever go away for me.
It is more likely you have something else wrong.
About two months after my FMT I started having gas, food intolerances, typical IBS symptoms. Many months later I have found out I have SIBO.
I think for all of us our minds immediately think c Diff if we have any digestive problems. But make sure you evaluate yourself for other possible causes.

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Thank you MKW for your reply. I’m just scared I’ve come in contact with a spore? The fact that you could still be contagious just stays in your mind you know and I dwell on it. What scares me the most and is the most aggravating symptom for me right now is that I’m not getting much sleep. I’ll usually wake up at 1 or 3 in the morning and can’t go back to sleep. Other then that I’ve had burping and gas out of the other end also. And I’ve never had problems sleeping before until I got u know what. So the fact that I can’t sleep scares me. And when I do sleep I have very vivid dreams...
Yes I agree; I believe this will always be a fear for forever for me now. How did u find out that you had SIBO?

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:59 pm

After 8 months of symptoms of PI-IBS, finally asked to have the SIBO breath test done with my current GI office.
It is a kit they give you, and can be done at home and mailed. Easy. Insurance did not cover, it cost $250.
You just drink a sugar solution after fasting 12 hrs and provide breath samples in tubes.
Gas is a major symptom of SIBO. It is aggravated by fermentable carbohydrates and a Low Fodmap diet helps tremendously.
I have anxiety too, from having c Diff. I had to go on Klonopin due to panic attacks.
The not sleeping could be from anxiety. Also, my gas would be so bad at times it would wake me up at night.

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Ok I will ask my dr about doing a test then when I go this Monday. I deffinetly wanna get on some anxiety meds. I’m tired of this just staying on my mind and freaking out about it. My family just doesn’t understand. I really appreciate your replies and I will try to calm down. Yes my gas was so bad one night that it woke me up also! Really scared me! All of the stuff you are telling me has made me feel better. Again, keep me in your prayers though please!

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Ok MKW I’m starting to freak some. I took 25 mg of melatonin to try and help me sleep and it worked for 30 mins or so and now I woke up with increased heart rate and upper abdominal cramps. I feel awful. And left sided chest burning. I need help.

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Sorry meant 15 mg of melatonin. That was around 9:30. And before then around 7:30 I drank some pepto bismol.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi, melatonin helps with sleep but it’s not going to conquer extreme anxiety symptoms.
Your gut and brain are highly connected with signals from each effecting the other.
The fact is you are really worried about your symptoms. Do you have any type of urgent care center or medical clinic that accepts walk in patients you could go to, since your appointment is not till Monday. At least having a doctor evaluate you might help you with perspective for now.
You have not described any symptoms that are classic c Diff symptoms. But pepto usually helps with generalized GI upset. I have not taken any pepto through my whole ordeal, I take immodium. So honestly I don’t know how it would or should effect someone post c Diff recovery.
If your symptoms are anxiety related the absolute best thing to do is walk. Also, chamomile tea if you drink it super strong has legitimate anti anxiety effects.
Just know you are not alone in going through these fears.
It is so psychologically hard to have GI problems as a post c Diff sufferer.

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:45 pm

I was just researching melatonin online and I think I took too much melatonin...it says online 15 mg is a lot. And melatonin can cause cramps and stomach upset. I took 2 of my diclomene for the cramps bc I had some left over..it’s helped. But now I’m awake again.my abdomen just doesn’t feel good. Still hurts. The melatonin has made me real sleepy but can’t sleep bc abdomen just don’t feel good. All the urgent cares are closed down at this hr. :(

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:55 pm

And sometimes the pepto helps but I’ve read it also can cause cramps too. So I’m not sure where the pain is coming from. The melatonin or pepto or the beast coming on... When I woke up tonight also with the cramps I also had to use the bathroom. It was a soft bm. Thank you for being here for me. Nobody in my family wants to talk about it. Why don’t u believe my symptoms don’t sound like a reinfection?
And I guess I’ll go to an urgent care tomorrow if I still feel the same.

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:06 am

I feel like pure crap this morning. Heavy and painful in my upper middle abdomen. Nauseous. Feel weak as a dog. I want this to be over. Stool looks like it’s getting softer. More mucus. Exhausted. I look like pure crap and somehow I’ve got to make it thru a 12 hr shift. I took some more pepto and a nausea pill before work but it’s not makin me feel great enough. I have a feeling the pain will be worse tonight and that I’ll end up in a urgent care Saturday. This is so embarrassing. Relapsing after almost 3 months. Like I was almost there. I was doing pretty good.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 am

Sorry to hear you have to try to work with these symptoms. It does sound to me like you should try to get to a doctor as soon as you can. There are many other possibilities of causes of your symptoms also other than relapse or new c Diff infection.
Family and friends never like to discuss GI symptoms! Too gross of a subject for most :-) one of the reasons this board is great for support.

Terpa
Regular User

Postby Terpa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:57 am

What else do u think it could be then? I pray it’s anything else. The cramping in my abdomen is up top and it’s not really stopping....

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:30 am

I have no medical training, but as a c Diff sufferer I understand your fears.
I think that you are panicking, and I’ve been there, and the best thing you can do to help with that is to see a medical doctor to rule out anything serious. ER visits can be expensive, but sometimes can be psychologically worth it. You stated you have a long shift, but maybe you need to try to miss work to go to a clinic/ urgent care center to be evaluated. Also, don’t be afraid to tell a doctor you are suffering with severe anxiety. When you are afraid it can be difficult to objectively evaluate your physical symptoms. The truth is I dont know much about upper GI problems since I have not experienced these problems.
Hang in there. And try to come up with a plan to get to a doctor if at all possible.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”