VANCO TAPER QUESTION

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
greekkc
New User

VANCO TAPER QUESTION

Postby greekkc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:51 am

I was initially diagnosed with cdiff on 2/9/18 after a 2 week bout of diarrhea that I thought was just my IBS-D, went to urgent care for dehydration and thought enough to bring a stool sample that tested positive. I believe I caught the cdiff from a friend that thought she was no longer contagious since she was well into a vanco taper. We held hands teaching a dance class and she brought me food to eat. I had not been on antibiotics for over a year. I did have outpatient surgery in December so that is a possibility but I tend to think the infection was from my friend. I was given oral suspension vanco 4 times per day. I went to urgent care again halfway through the vanco because I was feeling worse instead of better. I was re-tested again, why I don't know since I was on vanco, and of course, the test came back negative. I finished the vanco and have somewhat regular stools, fairly well formed, maybe twice per day.

Several of my clients wanted a clearance letter from my doctor saying I was no longer contagious so I re-tested on 3/9/18, exactly 4 weeks from my original diagnosis. The test was positive. From my research on my site, this is not unusual and you should really wait at least 8 weeks to be re-tested. The doctor has prescribed a taper & purse dose of vanco. Does this seem reasonable since my symptoms seem to have subsided? Is it overkill or should I just go ahead and do it since it won't hurt anything and will kill any lingering spores? Looking for advice from those who have been there. Thanks,

roy
Administrator

Re: VANCO TAPER QUESTION

Postby roy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:09 pm

A test to see if its gone is impossible!
C.diff is a naturally occouring gut bacteria and a positive test does not mean it's a disease, it's perfectly normal to test positive and be 100% healthy and for it to be part of your normal gut flora.
Only the lack of symptoms says you do not need treating and that c.diff as a disease is no longer active.
Some people will never test negative so your clients might have a problem if they want proof it's gone.

Treatment guidelines say a positive test but normal BM does not require treating.
In fact treating in an attempt to get a negative test might cause harm.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Agree with Roy. I test positive too, but without D. Maybe your doctor can simply write you a letter saying you are okay to go back to work because you don't have D.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:42 am

Your doctor should know that there are lots of asymptomatic carriers that will produce positive samples. According to the treatment guidelines , in the absence of symptoms treatment is not advised . A quarter of population is supposedly testing positive for CDiff without presenting symptoms.

greekkc
New User

Postby greekkc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:20 am

Thank you everyone for your replies. I picked up the vanco pulse & taper oral suspension today but have not taken it. I have messages in to both the GI and PCP to discuss whether or not it is really needed as I am about 95% symptom free after the initial 10 day vanco dose. My stools are mostly formed, some random D that is probably my IBS-D, and I almost feel normal again. I do not want to overtreat but my overthinking and anxiety says what if there are lingering spores and the vanco taper will knock them out, what can it hurt? On the other hand, could it create a relapse? What is the downside if I were to take the taper dose?
Also, I have been taking two Florasor a day since I started the vanco. Do you recommend adding another probiotic like VSL#3 or something else to start to rebuild the gut flora? I had been taking OrthoBiotic by Orthomolecula prior to the cdiff diagnosis.
Hoping that one of the doctors will give me some kind of letter that will satisfy my clients so I can get back to work!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 am

When you have c.diff as an active infection a Dr gives you meds.
the meds clear the active c.diff but does not kill any spores.
C.diff is intelligent and detects it is under attack from the meds and builds itself a coat of armour and becomes a spore.
The meds get most of the bacteria and the symptoms go away but the very few that manage to defend themselves by becoming a spore are still there waiting for the meds to finish and "hatch" again.
This it the time when the real cure takes place.
You finish meds and any remaining spores germinate and try to multiply.
Your natural immunity/good gut flora now kicks in and if its recovering it will suppress the growth of the c.diff and prevent it from multiplying and becoming a disease.
Tests are sensitive and will pick up any hint of c.diff at this time.
Taking more meds will reset the c.diff spore cycle and once you finish them the natural recovery process has to start again but with the added burden of being damaged by the second (probably not needed) course of meds.
In simple terms it's a race to regrow between the good flora that keeps c.diff in check and the bad flora that make you have D.
If the good flora wins your cured.
In every c.diff case it's the return of natural good flora that results in a cure and overtreating destroys that good flora.

Bryan30
New User

Postby Bryan30 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:25 am

When you say you tested positive but have inactive infection that means you have C-Diff bacteria but the toxins are not present, correct? I was told as long as no toxin A and B a positive for the bacteria is normal

greekkc
New User

Postby greekkc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:45 am

The PCR test was positive for toxin B. I did not take the vanco this morning. Still waiting to hear back from the doctor. I am leaning toward not taking it as I feel I am about 95% symptom free and don't want to re-start the healing processing if not necessary. Does anyone know how long the vanco oral suspension will last in the fridge?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:08 pm

The bacteria is not tested for.
All normal tests are only for the toxin.
C.diff can produce toxin but you can be immune to it and it does not cause a disease (That's why a vaccine is possible) PCR can pick up a tiny amount of toxin that is relatively harmless.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”