Colonoscopy next wk :(

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Sez123**
Regular User

Colonoscopy next wk :(

Postby Sez123** » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi
I’m scheduled for a colonoscopy next week. I’ve had ongoing bleeding due to a haemorrhoidectomy etc. it’s largely for my piece of mind as I’m so concerned all the time abt the bleeding

My initial infection was in nov

I plan to do the following during the prep

- drink miso, bone broth, komucha and coconut water

-straight after I’ll eat live homemade yoghurt kefir etc etc

Just wondering if I was to open a probiotic cap and put the powder in water would that be ok ??? I’m allowed water till 2hours prior to scope. So the water would still be clear with the pwd? Would there be any benefit to doing that??

Just want to do everything in my power to prevent a relapse in case there’s a spore lying around

Any additional tips anyone can help me out with?? This scope is a day before my birthday. Happy birthday to me lol

Tia xxx

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy next wk :(

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:35 am

Ask your doctor about the probiotic. It doesn't seem like it would be an issue, but check to be sure.

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:54 am

I’ve been reading online and came across something called a retention enema where you can put probiotic pwd mixed with water directly into the rectum/bowel

It’s interesting. Don’t know if I’m game to try this but curious to see if anyone has?!
Xx

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 am

My GI told me you can't get a relapse from colonoscopy prep because the bacterial diversity will remain the same, you will only flush the waste and the remaining bacteria will multiply - every 20 min they double.

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:46 am

oh Wow I hadn’t heard abt the 20min thing

No two Drs say the same ey. Mine said I’ll loose the flora with the prep but said it’ll cone back pretty quickly

This microbiome stuff is all so interesting
Xx

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:14 am

I will add that there are always different medical opinions. After my long battle with CDIFF, all of the GI's I have seen recommend waiting on colonoscopy.I had one right before CDIFF. I think they look at each individual patient, I had a very hard time getting rid of it. All my physicians are extra cautious.

We have several on the site who have had the procedure and done well with no relapse.
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:35 am

A flexible rectosigmoidoscopy will be a safer method to take a look inside , it doesn't require the cleanse , just a liquid diet 12 h before the procedure.

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:50 am

The sigmoidoscope goes as far as the rectum. I need the whole bowel /colon to be viewed once and for all. So sick of this daily rectal bleeding

:((

I know I risk c diff but right now I feel so burdened by the bleeding that I think the risk is worth taking

All I can do is hope and pray
Thanks hun. Xx

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:19 am

I know of a couple of people who have done the retention enemas and they did not have a problem. Not sure it helped much though. One lady got a fever though, so be aware that some people get side effects.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”