Banana Flakes

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lorac52
New User

Banana Flakes

Postby lorac52 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Hello again,
Anyone have an opinion on this? During my Vanco treatment I began using banana flakes (Nana Flakes brand) primarily to avoid losing potassium. According to the literature it also helps firm stools d/t its pectin content but does not interfere with gut motility. I have been off vanco for 1 week. My doctor's office just called to see how I was doing and I gladly reported that I was only having 1-2 soft formed BMs per day. After hanging up with the office I got to thinking that maybe its just because of the banana intake and not that I'm "cured". Now I'm concerned that maybe I'm just masking symptoms that otherwise might be rearing their ugly heads! I know I could just stop taking the supplement and see what happens, but hate to do that too...I like not going. I'm generally feeling better and gingerly introducing foods back into my diet. *Was just wondering if anyone else ever used banana flakes or if it could mask a recurrence. Do you think that since it doesn't affect gut motility that I would be going more than 2x daily if it was still an active infection? I know this isn't a medical site, just wanting to put it out there and see what you all think and if anyone ever tried using this supplement. Like most everyone here I am so afraid that it will come back...this really messed not only with my gut but my head too.

Medena
Contributor

Re: Banana Flakes

Postby Medena » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:20 pm

My gastroenterologist once told me, when it comes to such severe infections, no matter what food you eat... diarrhea will happen. Using the common sense, the conclusion would be that the banana flakes aren't the reason why you feel better, the improvement you talk about would rather be a result of the vancomycin treatment. Then again, I'm not a doctor... any concerns should be addressed to your doctor.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”