Prozac has increased risk of relapse?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Prozac has increased risk of relapse?

Postby MrsM25 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Hello everyone! Well, tomorrow is 8 weeks since having my FMT done and I’m happy to say that I have not relapsed. It’s been a rocky road in recovery but praying the worst is behind me. I’ve been doing pretty well lately with eating and not having much side effect. Unfortunately though, I’ve been suffering a lot of panic attacks lately and have been experiencing generalized depression/anxiety since going through this whole experience. I was originally prescribed Ativan to help with my anxiety attacks but today my primary care dr called in Prozac for me to help with the anxiety/depression. I took my first pill this evening and hoping for the best but then I came on here and saw others who had posted about Prozac putting you at risk for relapse?! Now I’m all freaked out about it. Should I have my doctor switch me to something else?

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: Prozac has increased risk of relapse?

Postby MKW » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi, I have seen some posts about Trazedone being associated with C Diff but not Prozac.
I wanted to warn you about SSRI antidepressants (in case you’ve never taken one) that they can cause diarrhea. I can’t tolerate them because they cause me to be crazily wired and have increased anxiety instead of decreased.
I tried Zoloft and lexapro years ago, and did not have a solid bm the entire time. This was back when I had a perfectly healthy GI.
I recently tried amitryptilline because that is actually used to treat ibs, but it is an older drug and doctors might not be willing to try you with it unless others haven’t worked.
Everyone is different. My daughter has gone on and off Zoloft a few times and has D the first few weeks then evens out.... Just the last thing you need to go on is watery D and to not know what is causing it!!! :-)

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:06 pm

Ugh, I’ve heard this can happen. I know Zoloft is implicated more with diarrhea. I feel like I can’t win because I have to risk the side effects of taking an antidepressant but I feel like I need one. My pcp assured me it’s fine. I left a message for my GI just to ask but he wasn’t in the office today. I’m due to take my second dose at 5pm. So far no D. Hoping it helps me and I don’t get the side effects! My main issues are anxiety attacks that come on without warning. I don’t have to be doing anything stressful for it to happen, they just happen. I’m also having this impending doom feeling. I was told that I have ptsd from the cdiff. I just want to be normal again.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:22 am

I'm not a fan of the SSRIs; I tried several of them some years ago and had numerous side-effects. That said, I doubt they'd cause or contribute to a C. diff relapse. If your main symptom is anxiety, perhaps your dr would prescribe lorazapam for short-term use; it works very well for anxiety, IMO. Since it's a benzo- drug it can be habit-forming. I take it as needed; just knowing I have it available decreases my anxiety, so I don't need it that often.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:57 am

Thanks for the input! I actually was prescribed Ativan and I have been taking it for my anxiety attacks but it really was only helping very short term and would make me feel extremely tired and would actually worsen the depression symptoms I am experiencing for some reason. I’ve been going to therapy for several months because I suffer from OCD and anxiety which I’ve had my whole life but it was completely intesified by the cdiff and the fear now that exists. Anyway, my therapist suggested that I take something because my case is severe and he felt Prozac would be best for me issues. My doctor said to stop taking the Ativan now and start the Prozac. I’ve taken it for 2 days and so far, no problems. Actually, today was the first day I haven’t had an anxiety attack for awhile. Mine aren’t triggered by a stressful event or thought per say, it’s like they just come out of no where. I’m just at a high level of stress all of the time I guess. Still feeling hopeful that this will work for me.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”