Who has taken antibiotics without a recurrence?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Rosie93
New User

Who has taken antibiotics without a recurrence?

Postby Rosie93 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:44 am

Hi,

After courses of Flagyl and Vanco failed, my c. diff. was cured with a fecal transplant in August of 2016. I am considering an elective surgery and was wondering if it's safe to take antibiotics again? The doctor said I could opt out, but do run the risk of developing another kind of infection (which would inevitably have to be treated with antibiotics).

I was wondering who all has taken antibiotics post c. diff. and NOT suffered a relapse?

Medena
Contributor

Re: Who has taken antibiotics without a recurrence?

Postby Medena » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:17 pm

Avoid antibiotics as much as you can, but if you need them, there's only a few things you can do to lower your chances of reocurrance: First, ask for a narrow spectrum antibiotics - as narrow as possible which would mean in case of infection, they need to test to see which bacteria is causing it, and then target that specific bacteria. This would save a lot of the good bacteria in your gut. I guess this isn't possible if they need to put you on preventive antibiotics in case of surgery, but I'm sure your doctor knows best what to do in these cases. Second thing, take a strong probiotics two hours after antibiotics. The probiotic bacteria will help fill up the space and consume nutrients in your gut, so cdiff can't grow as much. Third thing, avoid taking calcium during antibiotics treatment as there is a research showing calcium is what allows cdiff germination.
I've seen posters saying they took antibiotics without reocurrance.
I've asked my GI the same question and he's told me, once you've had cdiff it is unclear whether a person stays colonized or not, but the chances are 1 in 5 that reocurrance will happen. He also said noone is safe from the cdiff, it can happen to anyone, and stressing about it is useless and it lowers your immune system, making you more likely to actually have the reocurrance. So try to be positive, do your best and pray that you get through your treatment smoothly!
All the best dear.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:08 am

I was given several doses of a wide-spectrum antibiotic a year and a half ago following elective hip-replacement surgery, approximately four years after I had C. diff triggered by clindamycin. (A narrow-spectrum antibiotic would be ineffectual after this type of surgery.) I had no recurrence. I was very apprehensive about agreeing to the antibiotic, which was the first I'd had since the C. diff, but I was told (and believed) that the hip surgery wouldn't be safe without it. Any infection due to the hip surgery would have required a much longer, stronger course of antibiotics, so I looked on it as hedging my bets.

It was suggested to me that I take Florastor for approximately six weeks prior to the surgery: one capsule/day initially, followed by addition of a second capsule around Week 3. Florastor is evidently the only probiotic that is evidence-based for preventing recurrence in hospitalized patients. (Being hospitalized is itself a risk factor.)

It's advisable to insist on a private room during the time you're in the hospital. I also made a special request that the room surfaces be cleaned with bleach (this isn't ordinarily done). And my sister used the Clorox Germicidal Bleach Wipes (available only online) to go over bed rails, door handles, etc.

Whether any or all of the above measures helped or whether I was just lucky, I've no way of knowing. Anyway, no C. diff recurrence despite antibiotics.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:41 am

AllisS so happy for you! Thanks God for this.. Take care :)

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:03 pm

AllisS: That is fantastic news that you were able to endure hip surgery and avoided a recurrence of C. Diff by taking probiotics. That gives the rest of us hope that we can avoid a recurrence through the use of probiotics.

I have a urethral stricture that narrows my urethra and can make it more likely for me to have a UTI. I get a dilation once a year and have to take oral antibiotics for three days (Macrobid). Even though Macrobid is a low offender, I still take a probiotic (usually Floraster) during the whole time I take the Macrobid. So far, I have not had a recurrence of C. Diff. It has been 5 years since I had C. Diff, and have had no recurrence (knock on wood). If I had to take a wide spectrum antibiotic for something, I would probably take Floraster and other probiotics (JIC).

Aloha,
Anne

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:29 am

Anne, there's no way of knowing if the probiotics actually prevented C. diff recurrence or if I wouldn't have had a recurrence even without the probiotic. That said, I'd definitely take Florastor again prior to any future surgeries that were going to require a wide-spectrum antibiotic.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Rosie93
New User

Postby Rosie93 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Thanks everyone! This makes me feel hopeful that c. diff does not ALWAYS come back. I will be sure to post about my experience if I go through with it.

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi Rosie

I was also told to increase my consumption of fermented food during and well after my course of antis
So I loaded up on miso, kombucha , homemade yoghurt (if you haven’t already consider making ur yoghurt at home instead of store bought. The yield is in trillions).

Atleast three serves of fermented foods a day

Good luck many have NOT had a relapse on antis. Stay positive

Xxx

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:13 am

My mother had relapsing c diff years ago - I think 2007. She has had to take antibiotics several times since then (she is 97 now) and has not relapsed. She takes a probiotic daily called Digestive Advantage. I don't know if this is what keeps her from relapsing, but she has been on this regimen since her bouts with c diff and it agrees with her. She has also been hospitalized and did not pick it up again there.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:03 am

I took a z pak several times for pneumonia without a problem.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”