PI-IBS extreme sensitivity to insoluble fiber or saturated fat?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
joedoe34
New User

PI-IBS extreme sensitivity to insoluble fiber or saturated fat?

Postby joedoe34 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:43 am

Two months since FMT and currently testing negative, but experiencing 1-2x daily diarrhea and haven't had a normal bowel movement in a few weeks. I am trying to find any potential food sensitivities and have already cut out dairy. My new theory is that even very small amounts of fruits/vegetables may be causing me a lot of trouble (i've been having smoothies with only a few ingredients to limit factors), likely from the insoluble fiber. I also had a terrible few days after eating a steak one night, which I am wondering if it is the saturated fat that is causing problems (and perhaps that is partly why dairy kills me even though it doesn't seem to be lactose-related). Anyone experience similar sensitivities? I would appreciate any thoughts, thank you!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: PI-IBS extreme sensitivity to insoluble fiber or saturated fat?

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:04 am

Hello and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters.

After my first FMT via colonoscopy, I experienced a lot of food intolerances. Dairy was already a no-no even before the FMT, but I found I could not longer eat fruits and vegetables. The dairy got worse - no butter even. I had all kinds of tests and nothing was found, but when I tested for SIBO, my breath test was very, very high. I wound up treating with Xifaxan. That helped some. My GI treating the SIBO gave me a sheet with some diet guidelines and slowly (and I mean very slowly) I started adding foods. I am able to eat cooked vegetables now, but still not much fruit. I eat kiwi in the morning and sometimes a little bit of orange.

Different people react differently to foods after having had c difficile. I think all the vancomycin I took wiped out too much good flora. I know even before the FMT between relapses I was having issues. I would suggest you keep a food diary and see if you can find a pattern to what is not agreeing with you. Sometimes it is a food that one eats a day or two before.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”