Extreme Fear of Relapse

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
drkfaery
New User

Extreme Fear of Relapse

Postby drkfaery » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:47 pm

Hello everyone. I had C-diff several years ago and it almost killed me. I'm just off a week of Amoxicillin for bronchitis and I'm getting bad stomach pain, loose stools and just a general feeling of being unwell. I remember these things from when I was sick before. I started taking Bio-K but it's not helping so far. I cured my c-diff previously from a fecal transplant. What is the likelihood of this beast returning? I'm freaking out a bit.

Thank you,

Valerie

Mauler
New User

Re: Extreme Fear of Relapse

Postby Mauler » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:45 pm

Hang in there Valerie,

I did the same thing several times during the last two years. All my tests were negative, and I would feel better afterwards. Hit the probiotics and be careful with Trehalose https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320520.php

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:20 pm

https://www.healio.com/gastroenterology ... rence-rate

Here is a study I read recently, I hope you feel better soon!

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Interesting. I wonder if there is any impact or difference in results for those of us who were treated with Vanco or Dificid instead of FMT. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Last edited by AnxiousJ on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:56 pm

I was wondering same thing, like maybe people who had FMT had more severe cases; or are people not treated with FMTs more likely to relapse? Less likely?

I’m hoping there will be more studies on this soon.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Only my own observation but the longer it takes to "cure" the first infection the higher the risk of a new infection if you take antibiotics.
Emphasis on it being a new infection.
Again my own thoughts are that someone who is cured by just stopping the offending antibiotic or by one round of meds is going to have a higher level of c.diff antibodies than someone who keeps taking multiple rounds, especially if its simply to get a negative test or to treat nuisance symptoms instead of full on D.

drkfaery
New User

Postby drkfaery » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks to everyone for the responses and info. This is what my test said. Kinda confused.

SAMPLE WILL BE REFLEXED TO PCR ASSAY

INDETERMINATE FOR C. DIFFICILE

I guess this means they are still working on it?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:24 pm

OCMama, I took a look at the article that you posted a link for; it's very uninformative, saying only that "a food additive, the simple sugar trehalose, which is widely used by the food industry," is somehow implicated in C. difficile. No way of knowing which foods contain this additive; if it's widely used, it's going to be impossible to avoid. Also unclear is the strength of the evidence purporting to show a linkage.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”