fever

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
txgal82
Brand New Poster

fever

Postby txgal82 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm new to this board and have just been diagnosed with C Diff. I have started taking Flagyl (generic) and now am running a low grade fever. Is that normal? Has anyone else run fever because of the medication?
Thanking you in advance for any replies.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: fever

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 am

Hi txgal82 and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for new posters for more information.
C difficile itself can cause fever. How long have you taken the Flagyl? Flagyl does have a lot of side effects. I'm not certain if fever is one of them, but I have read that as a side effect for other medications, so I assume it is possible. I would call your doctor or the pharmacist where you got the medication and ask. Pharmacists generally know quite a bit about side effects from medications, sometimes more than the doctors do.

Flagyl can have neurological side effects too. You can ask your doctor to switch you to vancomycin or Dificid if you have problems taking Flagyl. I can't take it myself.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi, I was treated with Flagyl twice, and thereafter Vanco. I ran a low grade fever the entire time I was on Flagyl , but never with Vanco.
Interesting, I have never seen anyone else post that. It was 99 or less. But I never run over 98.6. So for me even if I’m 99.8 something is off with my body.
I am 46 and was perfectly healthy when I developed c Diff.
The doctor had no explanation for me.
After the second time I took it I went a month before I relapsed again. Once I stopped the Flagyl, normal body temp. I concluded it was directly caused by taking the Flagyl.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:48 am

Flagyl doesn't have fever as a side effect. The only think that can explain the fever is that the Flagyl hasn't kicked in or maybe it's wasn't curing the infection at all or it's a possibility that there is another pathogen that can make you sick.
Unfortunately these days there are more and more Flagyl resistant strains.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”