Will bladder irritation subside?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
lorac52
New User

Will bladder irritation subside?

Postby lorac52 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:04 pm

I have been on Vanco 125mg 4x day for 2 weeks and took my last pill a few hours ago. I experienced bladder irritation/pain off and on during course of vanco but worked through it because I wanted to kill off the cdiff. And because I did get several days in between where bladder felt ok and blamed it on maybe not drinking enough water with a particular dose.
I’ve perused past entries extensively and see that others have also had bladder issues while on vanco.
I did have a urinalysis done which showed leukocytes. They also looked at urine microscopically and did find “few bacteria” but did not do a culture- which did not make my doctor too happy.
Any way assuming my bladder is just inflamed from the meds ( I did almost complete a full course of Flagyl before I just couldn’t tolerate it anymore and my urine got dark which I know is common). I was then started on the vanco.
Finally for my question- did those of you who had this “rare” vanco side effect have it go away after stopping the medication?
I feel like now, having finished my medication, not only do I have to worry about a possible relapse but am stuck with a sick bladder as well.
I am a worrier by nature and this sure doesn’t help. I’m trying to remain positive.
Any encouraging words, practical suggestions? Just could use a little support - thank you.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Will bladder irritation subside?

Postby NanciT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:11 pm

There are several on the site who have had this bladder irritation, mine did not start until after I was on Vanco 3 months. The experience has been different for everyone, for some it goes away right after they complete the medication. Others like me is when it started. It was very wise to have the UA done but it actually sounds negative and I imagine the culture would have been
What I recommend on the site is if it were to continue, see a urologist. There are medications out there that are possible for this type of irritation. I drink plenty of water and I also take D Mannose. Its a supplement and has prevented a UTI for me since I started it. Check with your doctor about it, I saw a urologist who suggested it.

Hang in there, it takes some time to recover

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”