Test now negative but still feel badly

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
greekkc
New User

Test now negative but still feel badly

Postby greekkc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:00 pm

I had the flu and after the fever broke I had frequent diarrhea with an odd odor. I went to urgent care and tested positive for c-diff on 2/10 and was put on vanco oral suspension 4 times a day. My last dose is today. I am also taking Florastor twice a day. I do not take antibiotics and think I got the c-diff from a good friend who told me after the fact that she has had c-diff off and on for a year and is currently on vanco. I also have IBS-D, which I have had for over 20 years.

I went to urgent care yesterday as I was feeling worse instead of better, continued frequent diarrhea, nausea and dizziness and some lower abdominal and backache. I had a CT scan of my abdomen and it showed no inflammation/colitis. I also had another stool sample test which I thought was odd as I was still on the vanco. I just got the results back and now it shows negative for c-diff. Is that possible after such a short period of time on the vanco? I have an appointment with my PCP on Friday-should I ask to be re-tested? Should I ask about another round of vanco? This is all new to me and don't know where to turn next. I still feel terrible and also depressed.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Test now negative but still feel badly

Postby NanciT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you had to find us. First, if you are on Vanco and test for CDIFF it will most likely be negative.
Most often GI's do not test after treatment, if symptoms return which are watery D, abdominal pain etc they often treat. I would see a GI, its sounds like you are seeing your PCP tomorrow. I would push for a GI and if you are still dealing with diarrhea and all the symptoms, consider Dificid.
Wishing you the best
NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:47 am

Some people get loose stools on vanco. See how you feel when you finish .

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40 am

If you don't see any improvement while on Vanco you should consider going back to your doctor and ask for you dosage to be revised , sometime the classic dosage of 125 mg of vanco cannot do the trick and it needs to be raised to 250 mg. Dificid would be another option , a better option , as it is made to target only clostridia so the good flora would not suffer anymore damage and would have the chance to recolonize.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”