Mastitis

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Sez123**
Regular User

Mastitis

Postby Sez123** » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi I’m keen to hear from breastfeeding mums who have had mastitis

My journey with c diff started after mastitis in nov.
Then 2 weeks ago I had to go on keflex for mastitis again

This caused me to wean. Since last night I’m showing signs of mastitis AGAIN

I don’t know what to do

I’m going to a physio so they can massage the duct etc.

I know there isn’t much I can do but wait and massage this blockage and pray that I don’t need antis again

Mastitis is awful :((

Aside from mastitis I have dental issues too n

Feeling a little stressed about it all to be honest :(

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Mastitis

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:02 pm

Do. Or blame you.

We have had quite a few posters with mastititis. Do a search with mastitis as the key word. Hopefully, some might post in.

You might need an antibiotic for the dental work. DO NOT let the dentist prescribe Clindamycin. There is an antibiotic rinse - Peridex - that can be helpful with minor infections. Some have wisdom teeth pulled without an antibiotic.

Best to you. Let us know how you are doing, Enjoy your baby

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Sez bf mom here.
You need to buy an electric pump such as medela.
Massage the painful area and pump to empty the milk.
If blocked keep on trying a few shorter times until opens.
Then maintain the flow - pump regularly before it blocks.
Once you want to stop bf, slowly reduce the pumping until milk production decreases.
Remember, the more you pump, more milk will come.
But now you need to empty, so be persistant - eventually it will open but you need to pump n massage to do so.
Put lanolin cream, it will help a lot. Medela purelan. Eatable for the kid.
Also see your lactation consultant in the hospital, they might have good tips for your case.
Good luck

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi Medena
I’ve been hand expressing in the shower. I haven’t pumped or fed in a week (I’m axtively trying to wean ) so there’s not much milk there to pump

Do you think I should really go to full on pumping again??
Thanks for ur help with this. It’s so hard dealing with this as Drs just go straight to antis

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 pm

In my opinion, yes you should try the pump.
Ive got cdiff 3 weeks after delivery due to stiches infection for which I took zinat, so I know what you're going through... Be strong. Try this before another antibiotics.
I had blocked and swollen painful duct a few times and I put the cream, massaged and pumped until it opened up. It literally bursted open under pressure once the blockage got removed. Oh the relief I felt.. Once I had to pump every two hours for 15 min the whole night to have it open up in the morning. It is painful though I know...
I reduced the milk by pumping less frequently and less amount of time throughout two weeks, and the milk reduced drastically. But you should exclusively pump for that because bf makes your brain produce much more milk than pumping. Also try not to smell your baby or keep it on your chest while weaning all of this makes your brain produce hormones for bf.
If pumping doesn't open up your duct and you get worse, than make sure to go to the dr and take the medicine rather than risking an infection... But make sure to load up on probiotics and try to get a narrow spectrum antibiotics.
The above is my personal experience and opinion. Im not a doctor. Good luck

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:31 pm

I forgot to tell you, usually the blockage is close to the nipple even though the pain can be everywhere. Its probably dried out milk blocking the way. The cream is really important and massage extra in the nipple areas and around it. Also, put cold packs when stopping the milk.

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:41 am

Hi Again

To pump I’m getting nothing. Maybe 5mls after 20mins.

Even hand expressing just gets a few drops.

I only had keflex 2 weeks ago. I shudder to think if I needed another dose but yeah I have to avoid complications with mastitis

I went to a physio today who massaged me with heat. Here’s hoping it’s enough

Did you have a rough time with c diff? What cured you? Xx

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”