IDSA recommendation re: first line treatment for CDI

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MKW
Regular Contributor

IDSA recommendation re: first line treatment for CDI

Postby MKW » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Not sure how relevant this recommendation is in the big scheme of things in our medical community, but I came across the update in the below link from the IDSA - Infectious Disease Society of America, that shows Flagyl is no longer recommended as a first line treatment for C Difficile infection. It specifies it is only to be used if Vancomycin or Fidaxomicin are NOT available.

http://www.idsociety.org/New_Recommenda ... _2018.aspx

For me, and I know many others feel this way, Flagyl was not an effective first treatment and had many side effects.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: IDSA recommendation re: first line treatment for CDI

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:21 am

Flagyl is not recommended as a treatment for Cdiff since 2013 as I know!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:41 am

The problem is that most doctors still prescribe it. I had to insist with the GI that saw me back in 2008 that I did not want Flagyl because of the side effects. He agreed to vanco, but I still relapsed. Too bad Dificid wasn't out then.

This would be good to print out and take to a doctor. Many don't like to be contradicted, but some would probably be receptive.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:25 pm

I agree with Beth, print this out if you have been recently diagnosed and discuss with your doctor.
The difficulty is getting this information as a "standard Protocol" and out there for all. The best way is the CDC but it takes SO MUCH to get their attention.
I recently saw my PCP and we were chatting about how long it has taken me to get well, 5 relapses etc. We are friends, worked together for many years. He told me he just renewed his MD Boards and Flagyl is still listed as the first line of treatment.
Makes it all very frustrating!!!!
NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”