Just diagnosed, some questions

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jeffrey
Brand New Poster

Just diagnosed, some questions

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I just got diagnosed with c diff and had some questions for everyone. I came down with giardia and cryptosporidium after a hiking trip in September. I did several treatments of Alinia and metronidazole and herbs (berberine and oregano oil) and started to feel better. I’ve been stableish for a few months, but still feel sick sometimes and had soft but formed BMs. Last week I started to have foul smelling BMs and some mild D. I took a test and I was positive for c diff and cryptosporidium again :(. I’m not sure how I got c diff as both Alinia and metronidazole are supposed to kill it... My GI wants me to start Vanco and I’ll probably have to do Alinia at the same time. I’m trying to sort this all out and I was hoping the community might have some thoughts:

1) how does everyone deal with the stress and fear of this illness?

2) I’m not having D right now. Can I still have c diff with no D? A lot of other posts talk about really frequent and bad D.

3) how do I disinfect colored clothes when I can’t use bleach? The literature is not really clear on the topics nor are other posts I’ve seen.

4) has anyone been treated for both a parasite and c diff at the same time?

5) has anyone ever used berberine (herb) to help with clearing c diff?

6) does anyone know any support groups in the pacific NW of the USA?

Thank you all and I look forward to being part of this community

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Just diagnosed, some questions

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi Jeffrey and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters. I'm sorry for all you have been through. Alinia should not cause c difficile as some posters have used it as a chaser to vanco and Flagyl is used to treat it, but any antibiotic can cause it. It is possible that you are simply a carrier, but the D you describe does sound like c difficile. I do recall other posters being treated for parasites and c difficile. You can type the info into the search box to see if you can find old posts. The same for berberine.

Wash your clothes in the hottest water possible. Your outer clothes, unless they are soiled, shouldn't be a problem. The underwear and towels are more of a concern.

Jeffrey
Brand New Poster

Re: Just diagnosed, some questions

Postby Jeffrey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 am

Thank you Beth,

I’ll keep everyone posted. In regards to the towels and underwear, I’ll be starting to bleach all those separately. However for the past month or two I’ve been washing everything together. Is there concern about the clothing that was washed intermingled? Should I re clean everything?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”