Dad needs Amoxicillin

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Dad needs Amoxicillin

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:09 pm

I am almost 2 years post C Diff and aside from anxiety and mild ibs have been okay so far (knock on wood). My 75 father (who is out of state and has never had C Diff) will be having dental work and a bone graft tomorrow. His oral surgeon is prescribing him Amoxicillin 3x day. I suggested that he take Florastor 2x day and Bio K once a day. He asked his doctor and his doctor suggested he do just the Florastor. He also plans to eat yogurt every day. My concern is that he's been to my home several times since I had the infection and while I continue to keep it very sanitized, I worry that he could have spores in his system since he has been around me. Would Florastor be enough to prevent an infection in someone who has never had C Diff? He is 75, visits my mother at her memory care center (She has early onset Alzheimer's) and he takes PPI's.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Dad needs Amoxicillin

Postby NanciT » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:29 pm

I think your advice to your Dad is perfect. This will happen again and again with all of us and family members.
We are all far more educated about CDIFF after having gone through this. At most we can only advise.
I just went through this will my Mom who had also been here while I very very ill with CDIFF. My Mom was given Clindamycin. I saw how bad her infection was and know she needed something, but certainly there are other choices. Although I asked she call the dentist and change it, she did not want to do that. She completed the medication and I prayed for the best.
Its been 2 weeks so I still have concern but I think we can only do so much. Stand by and give the best advice we can.
Wishing the best for your Dad!
NanciT

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Thank you, Nanci! He and his doctor ultimately decided on just 2 Florastor instead of both. I REALLY hope that prevents anything from cropping up. I know this isn't a medical site but do you think he should be taking an additional probiotic? It's 500 mg 3x day for 10 days.

I hope your mom continues to do well. What did she end up taking with the Clindamycin? She is lucky you gave her good advice as well, If only doctors and pharmacists would do the same thing it could prevent a lot of sick people.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:33 pm

Actually my mom would NOT take any probiotics, only Activia because I pushed that. She believes her Dentist and doctor.........and there is little I can do except make suggestions.

Thankfully so far she has been fine!!!
NanciT

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Good news!!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”