I have pneumonia

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
OCmama
Regular Contributor

I have pneumonia

Postby OCmama » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 pm

They are giving me 7 days Bactrim. I am trying to get the Dificid approved with it, insurance is fighting me. I am so scared, please pray for me.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: I have pneumonia

Postby MKW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi, will be praying for you. Where I live everyone has been sick. It's awful. I have been dealing with sinus problems for over a week and went and had blood work today to see if bacterial. I was fortunate, blood work was fine. But for that 20 minutes I sat in my patient room, everything went through my mind about how I would handle the situation if doc wanted an antibiotic. Sinus issues, I could try to cure on my own. Pneumonia- that's a different story and you have no choice. Bactrim I know is a sulfonamide, which is a lower offender for C Diff, and a very effective antibiotic. You are trying to be totally prepared with the Dificid to treat in the best way possible, so that is the best plan. Try to just focus on how knowledgable you are now about everything you can do to protect yourself from recurrence, and if it comes down to it to treat recurrence. ...You are always so kind and helpful on this board to everyone! Please keep us posted on how you are doing :-) And remember, your immune system is very effected by rest and diet. As mothers, we often don't ask for help when we need it and function as caretakers instead of asking others to care for us. Don't be afraid to demand of your family and others to help you out so you can rest as much as possible during this time.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:05 am

MKW thank you so much :-)

They won’t give me the Dificid without a positive stool test so it looks like I need to take the bactrim with just a ton of probiotics and pray.

The PA said that a radiologist comes in the morning and maybe could see if the X-Ray “looked viral” don’t even know if that’s a thing, thinking about waiting on the bactrim until I hear. Thoughts?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:48 am

I am sorry you are ill with pneumonia, I would ask the radiologist to read the film, someone must have given a call/report but get the final report.
Bactrim is a low offender and there are several of us on the site who have become ill post CDIFF and had to take a round of antibiotics. I know how difficult it is, I did have to take Keflex( higher offender) a year ago. Thankfully all worked out. I wish I could erase the terrible fear we all walk around with.
Time out your probiotics. Drink plenty of fluids, get some rest and hopefully you will push through this and be just fine.
Take Care
NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:19 am

Did you have a sputum test? They can help determine if viral or bacterial. Do ask if radiologist read x-ray.

I get c diff easily but have sutvived several bouts with a z-pak - a middle of the road antibiotic.

Drink lots of fluid and if u have sinus drainage, do saline irrigation. See CDI.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:26 am

MKW,

Try saline irrigation. See CDI.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:23 am

Thanks ladies, you are the best :-)

Talked with my GP who has been really kind to me through all of this, he is letting me wait on the bactrim to have the radiologist read the film as long as I don’t go above 101/ get worse fast. The urgent care was out of rapid flu tests but mine will be in in two days, so I guess that makes it more likely to be viral pneumonia?

I cannot believe my family and I are going to spend maybe the rest of my life with this albatross. I’m in a bit of a funk.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Some Drs say that taking a med to prevent c.diff at the same time as another antibiotic INCREASES the risk of c.diff due to the increase in the bacteria killing spectrum of taking 2 meds at the same time.
I don't think there's any studies regarding Dificid used in that way though.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Still waiting on radiologist, leaning towards treating. I feel really sick and the crackling is loud.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:27 pm

Radiologist said yes it’s pneumonia, both of my regular doctors have said to wait it out (on bed rest and use a nebulizer) and see if it might be viral and resolve on it’s own b/c the C. diff was so aggressive. Wish me luck.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:43 pm

I hope you feel better soon. Do keep an eye on it and keep us posted. I will pray for a quick recovery for you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Good luck. If you feel worse, please call your doctors. Our cousin just died last month of flu/pneumonia combo, but she was a lot older than you.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:42 pm

Beth I am so sorry to hear about your cousin! This flu season has been terrible.

I will keep you posted, thanks for being there, C. diff really adds an extra layer of terrible to things that already suck.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:35 pm

OCmama,

I am so sorry to hear this. I am really thinking of you. Just know that you are so knowledgeable about this now and are very informed about good quality probiotics now. Rest as much as possible, double up on probiotics and I hope you feel better soon.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Thank you so much :-) I am still holding off on the antibiotics, not sure how things are going to shake out. Fever went away, still have crackling when I lay down. Waiting it out a bit per doctor’s advice... this is pretty dodgey. Thank you so much for the prayers, good vibes and kind words xoxo

Started on bio k again (plus my regular florastor)

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”