I have pneumonia

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
roy
Administrator

Re: I have pneumonia

Postby roy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Has a Dr done any tests to prove it or are they just guessing it's pneumonia?
Sounds like it's resolving quickly without treatment.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:20 pm

I had a chest X-ray which was positive for pneumonia per dr and radiologist, hoping flu swab come back Monday. Still pretty darn sick, just praying that it is viral. Not sure this is the right thing to do but both veteran docs who know my history say to keep fighting. I’m using a nebulizer and staying hydrated. I do not reccomend that anyone try this.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:46 pm

So sorry you are dealing with this. This year has been terrible! I’m constantly fearing my son will come home sick from preschool. I am 5 weeks out from my FMT and doing good so far so I’m dodging people like the plague right now hoping I can make it through this flu season. If it’s going to happen it’s going to happen but I am so fearful of it! More then ever since cdiff so I totally get why you are so terrified right now!! I am saying prayers for you and hope that all clears up and you feel better soon. I was sick back before Christmas with a URI. I have no idea if it was the flu because they didn’t test me but I was sick for 17 days and went to the ER on day 9 because I felt like I couldn’t breath and I couldn’t stop coughing. They said I was wheezing and gave me an inhaler and a steriod dose in the ER. They just kept telling me it had to run it’s course. I couldn’t sleep because I couldn’t breath, it really was scary. I don’t ever remember being that sick in my life. That was before the flu season got bad and there was so much news on it. I had no idea there was such a terrible strain of flu going around back then. Rest and stay hydrated and watch your symptoms! Feel better!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:45 am

If the fever is gone, hopefully you are on the mend. The flu around here has been awful and you are down in OC, which isn't much better. I know last month all the hospitals were full and were re-directing patients to other facilities. I think it has slowed down a bit though. Let us know how you do. I was in the hospital with Influenza B in 2016. That is also the strain that our cousin died from. They did put me on antibiotics, but I had a CT scan that showed a very bad sinus infection and also my white blood count was dangerously low - neutropenia I think it was. But, I had a fever for over 2 weeks that wasn't getting better. I think that yous is gone is a good sign.

If you feel worse, go to ER or contact your doctor right away though. Let us know how you do.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Did NOT take bactrim. Both the baby and I are now having D, and coughing.

My crackling and bubbles are now only when I lay down on my left side, which is weird but a big improvement.

Still exhausted, and holding on antibiotic.

Have been eating garlic, but I’m taking bio-k with it, it can’t make you relapse can it?

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:51 pm

No garlic it is antibacterial also, ca you use honey it is very good for lungs specially Acacia honey or Lynden honey for lungs and upper respiratory infections. My daughter have asthma and bronchitis, pneumonia is often an issue, all the time she is improving with honey. Hope you feel better.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm

So no garlic, or just small amount garlic?

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Postby Lid49 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:52 pm

If you can handle it is ok. It will not give you cdiff.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am

OCmama-How are you doing now?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:01 pm

I’m alive! I should have updated, I have been ok for two days now (I am still coughing up some stuff, but it is thin and white), I have no more crackling, and some of my energy is returning.

The pneumonia turned out to be viral, and thanks to my cousin who is a 35 year ER Doctor and my awesome general practitioner who both made the right call, I did not take antibiotics. It was definitely a gamble and was scary, but they were right right.

I would not recommend that anyone forgo treating pneumonia without their doctor’s reccomendation and close monitoring as pneumonia can be deadly.

I used a nebulizer with albuterol 4 times per day, did chest percussions, hot showers, chewed raw garlic, drank a ton of hot tea with honey, used elderberry syrup, vitamin C, Bio-K (and I always take tumeric and florastor), and rested as much I possibly could for about 3 weeks.

At some point I, or another member of my family will likely have to take antibiotics, but it wasn’t this time, which was a win, and I feel lucky.

I hope everyone is doing well!!

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Wonderful news! I’ve really been thinking about you and how scary it must’ve been. So happy it all worked out for you!! I was saying extra prayers for you!

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 pm

Thank you so much!!!!!!! I believe in prayer, and I appreciate your prayers more than I can say :-)

How are you doing??

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:23 am

I’m getting there. Friday will be 7 weeks since I had my FMT. I have some residual after effects of course but on an up hill slope so to say. It’s been several weeks of formed stool now which is amazing. Taking benefiber has helped and I have been able to slowly broaden my diet. I was also able to clear the M I was having with my movements by taking a Claritin every day. Now I’m just dealing with some weird things like rashes, I believe GERD and anxiety issues. I’m going to see a different GI in may to get tested for SIBO because my normal GI is a colorectal surgeon and he doesn’t deal with the small bowel. I’m also wondering if I have some mast cell disorder going on. I will be going to see a functional nutrition doctor in a few weeks to see if she can help me sorting out my diet between the cdiff and PI-IBS, possible SIBO and my Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. It’s been almost a month since I’ve had low grade fevers. Hoping that doesn’t come back again. Planning on going back to the gym on Monday. I used to go 3 times a week before cdiff so I’m hoping it will help me feel more like myself. Praying that this flu season ends soon, it has me on edge, especially with two little ones. I’m sure you will be extremely happy to see this flu season go as well!!

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am

I'm so glad to hear! That is such great news (for both of you)!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:56 pm

Good news!

I had pneumonia 8x after my first bout of c diff. I was able to tolerate a z pak several times, see CDI - Antbiotics for info.

Helpful hints:

As for a chest x-ray if the chest is "rattingly" and ask that a radiologist read the x-ray.

A spuctum test (in a sterile container)can be helpful

There are two pneumonia vaccines now _ pneumovax and prevenar. Ask your doc about getting them. Believe both have few side effects - not
made with live cultures. There are many strains of pneumonia but these will give u some protection.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”