Keflex

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Sez123**
Regular User

Keflex

Postby Sez123** » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:06 am

Hi all
I need some support
I had mastitis in nov was in dicloxacillin and got c diff from it

Just one round of flagyl “fixed” it

I’ve just been diagnosed again with mastitis and am on Keflex now. It’s cephalosporin anti

I’m so paranoid abt c diff coming back from ANY antibiotic

I’ve increased my probiotics in form of tabs and foods I’m eating. Pls tell me it will be ok

Any advice !??
I’m being tested again to make sure the c diff is negative following the initial treatment

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Keflex

Postby NanciT » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you are going through this and had to find us. It's great the Flagyl worked!! That is good news.
Now that you have gone on Keflex, its impossible to any of to reassure you that CDIFF will not return. As far as being tested, I never tested at all. Most GI's and ID's don't test and go by symptoms.
If you have NO symptoms after the Keflex, talk with your GI about that. Not sure why you would test with no symptoms.

I will tell you although my CIDIFF journey was a year, I did have to take Keflex Post CDIFF and feel fortunate it DID NOT return so it is possible. Not everyone relapses so hopefully you will move past this quickly!

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:52 pm

if you dont have c.diff symptoms there's no need to test.
if you do test and it comes back positive the guidelines say you don't need treating if there's no symptoms.
To diagnose c.diff as a disease the test and symptoms have to be looked at together.

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi nanci
Yes I’ve seen that Keflex is in the high risk category

I have mastitis and unfortunately most of the options were in the high rush category. Other option was clindamycin. To which I said a big NO

he said it’s best we keep the course short (5 days). This time around I’m on a highstrength pro biotic and also taking the sacchyromyes b yeast x2 tabs twice a day. Also eating a variety of probiotic foods

I can only keep positive and vigilant for c diff symptoms for a while after I finish the course

Do you know in general if roxithromycin is a “better” antibiotic to take?? I’m aware no antibiotic is safe. I’m enquirijg in a life death situation.

I think infected mastitis is a tough one to treat without antis.

Thanks for ur reply xx

NanciT wrote:
> Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new
> posters
>
> Sorry you are going through this and had to find us. It's great the Flagyl
> worked!! That is good news.
> Now that you have gone on Keflex, its impossible to any of to reassure you
> that CDIFF will not return. As far as being tested, I never tested at all.
> Most GI's and ID's don't test and go by symptoms.
> If you have NO symptoms after the Keflex, talk with your GI about that.
> Not sure why you would test with no symptoms.
>
> I will tell you although my CIDIFF journey was a year, I did have to take
> Keflex Post CDIFF and feel fortunate it DID NOT return so it is possible.
> Not everyone relapses so hopefully you will move past this quickly!
>
> NanciT

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi Roy

I’m in aus. Apparently here they do test for a cure but like u said don’t treat if asymptomatic

Does the test still pick up those dormant spores??? Or just if I have active bacteria floating around?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:49 am

Sezxx,
If u continue to have problems contact the CDD in Sydney. AU. If they are booked up, I doubt if they can see you but might recommend another doc in AU.

Do u have a chapter of the La Leche Society there?

See the post from an AU poster in Success stories.

Read the info in the first forum.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:35 am

Sez123: I was given Keflex on a number of occasions for suspected cellulitis in my hand and forearm. (I have lymphedema in that arm.) I never contracted C. diff from it, only from clindamycin. I'm not saying that Keflex couldn't cause C. diff; however, I don't think any wide-spectrum antibiotic rivals clindamycin in terms of risk level.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:02 am

As you probably know , there is no safe antibiotic , is true that some do not damage the flora like others. IF you fixed your Cdiff infection with one round of Flagyl , you probably developed antibodies that will protect you from the toxin action.
I know it's scary to go on a course of antibiotics but if it make you feel better I can tell you that I know a few people that were kinda "I the same boat" as you , they got cured by a sigle round of Flagyl and shortly after they needed antibiotics again , one of them was my grandfather that went on a course of amoxicillin and after that he took ciprofloxacin (both antibiotics known to be high offenders) and he did not relapsed.

Sez123**
Regular User

Postby Sez123** » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 pm

It’s Amazing clindycin is still in circulation it should definately be banned

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”