Flu Fears!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Flu Fears!

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:40 pm

As if having Cdiff for the last 4 months of my life hasn’t been traumatic and stressful enough, this would be one of the worst flu seasons in recent years just to latch onto my already heightened anxiety!! Am I the only one terrified of getting the flu? I am 4 weeks out from my FMT and things have been a rollercoaster but I’m hoping that making it 4 weeks is a good sign. I normally get the flu shot every year but because I was so sick the last few months with Cdiff, I did not get one and now I’m fearing the worst. I don’t know if I am far enough out from the cdiff and my FMT to get a flu shot? I still don’t feel 100% since having the FMT done and wondering if it’s a good idea to have a flu shot when I’m not feeling great anyway? This whole thing is just throwing me into mind overload. I never feared sickness before like I do now. I’m a nurse and I was a pharmacy tech before I became a nurse. I was in the heart of sickness for many years working on the front lines and I never worried. Now I’m a stay at home mom with a 4 year old and a 19 month old and I’m more worried then ever.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Flu Fears!

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:24 am

Call the GI who did your FMT and ask about getting a flu shot. I don't know how much they help this year. Our cousin just died of the flu and she had a shot.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:35 am

I share your fear of flu. I've been following the news coverage about the effectiveness -- or lack thereof -- of this year's vaccine. I got my shot back in September; I get the shot each year. The consensus seems to be that the shot could be as high as 30 percent effective and that it can decrease the severity or at least the duration of flu, were one to get the illness. If your doctor says it's OK and if I were you, I'd get the shot, as flu season is being predicted to last as late as May (!) this year.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:02 am

My GI says it’s ok and he recommends it so I think I’m going to go and get it today. I hope it’s not too late since it takes 2 weeks for full effectiveness.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”