Vancomycin and Acid Reflux

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
shooten
Regular User

Vancomycin and Acid Reflux

Postby shooten » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have seen some other people saying they had some acid reflux when taking vancomycin so I wanted to share my experience and what my GI told me. I was getting horrible acid reflux while on vancomycin, I would miss work because it would get so bad on some days. Finally I gave my GI a call and asked if he knew of anyone having problems like this while on vancomycin. He asked when I was taking it and if I was taking it with food. My first pill in the morning was on an empty stomach and he said stop taking it on an empty stomach. He said vancomycin and stomach acid do not get along and to always make sure I have something, even a piece of toast, before taking it. Since the capsule container didn't say take with food I thought I could take it whenever. I started taking it with food and the acid reflux symptoms decreased and I started feeling much better. I just wanted to share that story in case anyone else has the same issues.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”