Proton Pump Inhibitor

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
shooten
Regular User

Proton Pump Inhibitor

Postby shooten » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:22 am

Hello Everyone, I am currently 10 weeks post vancomycin. I know PPIs have been linked to C Diff. I was wondering if anyone started taking PPIs after having C Diff and had any issues with them? Thanks.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Proton Pump Inhibitor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:58 am

I did not start PPI's after CDIFF but was on Aciphex the entire time and also Post CDIFF for two years. I had 3 GI's during my time with CDIFF and all felt I should not go off. I finally did have an endoscopy to confirm no ulcers etc before weaning myself off them and onto Pepcid AC. I started out with an RX dose of that and weaned to a lower dose which I continue on with.
It does not work as well, even simple things give me heartburn...but I am working through it.

It's difficult to decide but having an endoscopy allowed me to feel confident for now I could slowly get off the Aciphex and try something else
NanciT

shooten
Regular User

Postby shooten » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:32 pm

I had an endoscopy done 4 years ago to find out I have severe gastritis, after 6 months on omeprazole I was able to ween down to ranitidine and take it as needed. Due to stress and other things in life right now, I am having gastritis like symptoms and the ranitidine isn't cutting it. Probably going to give the GI a call today to see if he thinks taking omeprazole for a day or two would hurt. Being 10 weeks out I really don't want to do anything that might cause a relapse.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:35 am

My mother (97) has been on PPIs for years. She took them before, during, and after c diff and still takes them. She has had no issues with them as far as I know despite having been on antibiotics several times since her c diff some 10 years ago.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”