My experience so far

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Medena
Contributor

My experience so far

Postby Medena » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:58 am

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, unfortunately I belong here as well due to the bacterial infection from hell, our lovely cdiff.

Prior to ruining my life, I've never even heard of this bacteria.

My story begins in end October, when I delievered my baby girl. I developed an infection of the stiches after returning home from the hospital and my obgyn prescribed antibiotics three weeks later. After finishing them, I got a diarrhea with the smell from hell, yellow, disgusting, cramps, 5-10 times per day, mucus etc. I didn't think much of it and thought it will resolve. But, two weeks later I went to see a gastrologist as my diarrhea didn't go away. Remember, I have a newborn in my care so going anywhere is a challenge for me. The dr did an ultrasound and said he can see an infection and thinks its a pathogen, he did a blood test and a stool test, it came back with increased proteins, otherwise normal and the dr didn't check for cdiff. He didnt want to give me antibiotics, but my husband insisted, and I was put on metronidazole for a week. Thr diarrhea resolved and I felt awesome. I went in to see another gastrologist, as I felt the first one was unprofessional, and he tested me for cdiff which came positive for toxines. When I saw him back, I was fine and he mentioned "rarely it can come back. Otherwise, forget about it." I continued with my life until a week later, again mucos, diarrhea, blood in stool... and I went to the er. At this point I realized this thing isn't easy and I felt scared. I googled the bacteria and I wish I didn't. I got a horrible anxiety and fear for my newborn, I didn't know what to do. Abdominal pain started. They put me on vancomycin 14 days oral, and tested my mucosy stool at the er. The diarrhoea wasnt developed much yet, and it didn't continue on vancomycin, but I started getting tenesmus constantly, and if I went to the toilet nothing would come out. The stool was mushy and yellow. Vancomycin didnt seem to help much. My gastrologist told me the stool from er came back negative for toxines. After finishing vancomycin, 4 days later another episode of yellow diarrhea with mucos and blood, after eating my lunch. Went to er again, did another stool test but they've lost it! Went back to gastrologist and he said to wait until we test the stool. Meanwhole, my stool became brown and formed. Test came back negative for toxines. But I have horrible symptoms. Apart from going to toilet three times instead of my usual once per day, I have a constant abdominal pain, 24/7 tenesmus which is driving me insane, my bowels seem less controlable than before as if they're stretched. And recently, I've got heart arrythmics, this I had before in life shortly before a horrible diarrheal BM when something was wrong. Now I get that sensation out of nowhere throughout the day.
My gastrologist says give it some time, since there is no diarrhea and the stool seems normal, the toxins are negative... If nothing changes he'll have a look at my colon with a camera. I didn't do endoscopy right away in hope the good bacteria is colonising my intestines, wouldn't want to flush them again...

I am so exhausted, terrified, desperate, tired, sad and unable to properly care for my three month old.

Sick of this disgusting disease.

Why haven't they developed probiotics pills from human feces that we could take to get well...

Next step fmt if nothing improves...

Inshallah I'll get better soon so I can continue living my life.

Simpaties for everyone here unfortunate to deal with this hell as well..

P.s. Kefir and culturelle helped me I think...

Medena
Contributor

Re: My experience so far

Postby Medena » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:48 am

Uhhh mucus and blood again. Guys i have no more energy to fight this thing all i do is cry

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:49 am

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you had to find us!! Reading through it sounds like the stool has now returned to formed but the abdominal pain and other symptoms continue. See you GI and ask about Post IBS which many of us get. There are medications that can help you can speak with him about, I was on Levsin, used a heating pad, ate a very bland diet, wore "Sea Bands" for nausea which continued for a long time for me and continued on VSL#3(down to 1/day) after treatment.
You have tested negative, unless the D returns the only other option is to review with your GI about medications or testing for other issues.
It can take the gut a long time to heal, I thought CDIFF had returned MANY times.
Review with your GI and hoping you start to feel better soon!
NanciT

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:51 am

I want to add emotional health IS AFFECTED by CDIFF, I had never cried so much in my life, the weakness took over and I felt I would never recover. The GUT has a direct relation to our emotional health
You are not alone in this!
NanciT

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Thank you Nancy you're a sweetheart.

I really feel its still with me..

Low grade fever, yellow bloody stool and mucus.

Will travel to Europe in hope for a better doctor...

Im devastated and desperate.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:39 pm

I understood in your post the stool was formed, if symptoms have started again, do get another opinion I don't know where you are located and I am not sure if they have Dificid where you are or traveling to. Get online and do some research, makes some calls before seeing another GI to make sure they are familiar with CDIFF.
Sorry you are still struggling
NanciT

Medena
Contributor

Postby Medena » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 am

Here I am in the emergency room again,crying my eyes out, relapse has happened the diarrhea is real again.

Guys Im so desperate I would eat a bucket of poop right now if i knew it would cure me for good.

I am in Abu Dhabi, I have no idea if they are good enough to cure m since they've never had a case relapsing like mine.

I want to travel to Germany.
Any recommendations for a good dr who can do the fmt?

I would bring the documentation from my previous treatments, I believe they need this to accept doing the fmt?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:50 am

You need to be seen by a GI or a infectious disease doctor. The infectious disease doctors are knowledgeable and can come up with good treatment plans to cure the infection but they can't do FMT . If you are looking for a doctor that can do FMT that will be a GI.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”