New and terrified and constipated

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jan1980
Brand New Poster

New and terrified and constipated

Postby Jan1980 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:20 pm

Hello I am a 37 year old female and I was given Flagyl for 2 weeks to treat C diff from my gastroenterologist. I have taken a stool sample that is not back yet but he chose to treat me based on my symptoms and my elevated crp levels. I took augmentin for ear pain (turned out to be wax, not an infection) and another antibiotic shot at urgent care. The augmentin was only for 3 days before i saw my primary doc who removed the wax and told me to stop the augmentin. The diarrhea started the 2nd day on augmentin and went on for 9 days. I had a follow up with my gastroenterologist because I also currently have gastritis and have had diverticulitis in the past. I also have ibs c. I'm a mess. Anyway, he said it sounds like I have C diff, oh cause I was also taking an acid medication Protonix for the gastritis. So he took blood and stool and called me back saying blood levels were slightly elevated and to take flagyl for 14 days. So actually I haven't had anymore diarrhea in 3 days and I've actually become constipated. I'm on day 2 of Flagyl and florastor. I'm really scared that maybe I will get that toxic colon now since I am backed up. I need to mention I have extremely bad health anxiety and I can't handle any horrible stories. I will have a panic attack. Most of the stories online are scary and making me feel as if I am going to die from this. I've never been so scared in my life. I lost my brother to the war in Iraq and my husband is in the Army do the fear of death surrounds me daily. Does me being backed up mean I will get a toxic colon? Can I take some magnesium while on Flagyl and florastor? Thank you in advance!

roy
Administrator

Re: New and terrified and constipated

Postby roy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Can't diagnose by internet but your symptoms do not sound like c.diff.
Personally I would not be taking meds untill the test result was back.
But that's only what I would be doing.
Toxic megacolon is not caused by constipation, if you were anywhere near that you would know, you would be too sick to use a computer.

Jan1980
Brand New Poster

Re: New and terrified and constipated

Postby Jan1980 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Thank you for your reply. That is reassuring to know that I would be much sicker. Yes I was surprised my doc treated me before the stool test came back but he said I had elevated inflammation in my blood. I wonder if it was just diarrhea from the augmentin and not c diff? Cause diarrhea is definitely a side effect. Plus I only took 3 days worth and a shot. I think he was concerned because I was on the antacid as well. I am in pain however, mostly side pain and bloating, so something is surely off.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”