flu

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

flu

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:57 pm

My 11 year old was diagnosed on Monday with Influenza A. The pediatrician did not give her Tamiflu. We all had the shot but apparently it doesn't matter this year. So....she just accidentally coughed right in front of me as I was taking her thermometer out of her mouth and now I'm really worried. I am keenly aware that I may be jumping the gun, but is it worth it to call my pcp about the possibility of getting Tamiflu tomorrow? Or should I wait and see if I develop symptoms before I call? Also, can we take Tamiflu? It's an antiviral not antibiotic but I don't even know. I tested negative 21 months ago. Oh, and we're supposed to leave for Disney the first week in February....

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: flu

Postby AllisS » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:17 pm

I've not heard of Tamiflu being used preventively in the way that you're wondering about. As for your exposure to your daughter's cough, though it's not ideal that this happened, probably nine times out of ten when one develops an illness there's no obvious trigger -- and, conversely, probably nine times out of ten something that is clearly a risk factor such as you describes leads to no illness. Hope your daughter feels better soon.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Thank you, AllisS! This does make a lot of sense and makes me feel a lot better!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:45 am

I have Tamiflu here because I can't get the flu shot, but I am not supposed to take it unless I get symptoms and then I need to take it right away because it works best if you take it within 24-48 hours. Wait and see what happens and meanwhile try to get as much rest as possible. I teach high school and we already have kids sick and they come back when they should not be back yet. They cough, sneeze, and even come with fevers. Keeping my fingers crossed, and so should you.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”