moved post by sbmike

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
sbmike
New User

moved post by sbmike

Postby sbmike » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm

sbmikeBrand New Poster

Re: Tapering 125mg Vancomycin for six weeks: q72hrs. (ref:Dr. Johan S. Bakken) 

Unread postFri Jan 12, 2018 6:58 pm

First post here. I am also on the tapering 125mg vanco routine for six weeks. I am in the 2x per day stage. I have been pretty sympotomatic for the ten plus days I have been on this second round of vanco, so I am not wildly optimistic that vanco is going to get me over this. I get first colonoscopy sometime in February and I think the plan is FMT at that time, but I am not sure about that. I am in Kaiser with a thoughtful PA as my primary doc and he thinks that is what is happening. 

My appetite is not great. I am trying granola and yogurt in the evening to see if I can get better sleep. I am also trying a tablespoon or two of live sourdough starter (Oregon Trail strain for sourdough enthusiasts) as my first bites in the morning. Tried saccromyces with first round of vanco. Don't know if it helped, but I am still positive for C. diff, so trying to overwhelm it this time with lactobacillus in conjunction with the tapering vanco treatment. Lots of fun

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: moved post by sbmike

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

If Vanco is not helping your symptoms, see you GI and ask for Dificid. You have been on this awhile and should have seen symptoms improve.

Look at your diet and try going bland to let the gut rest a bit. Granola can be harsh on the GI system. Are you taking a Probiotic?

Sorry you had to find us, I would give a call and speak with the GI

NanciT

sbmike
New User

Postby sbmike » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:18 pm

have tried a lot of probiotics, sacromyces, yogurt, sauerkraut, etc. Just can't a stable healthy gut biome established. I see GI doc in a couple weeks. I am in regular contact with my GP. I am pretty comfortable from day to day, just low energy, mild burning in GI system from stem to stern. I have been expecting/hoping to get the FMT thing done because I don't think the antibiotics are going to get me health again. I haven't been too worried about staying bland or helping my GI tract because my discomfort is mild. I am mainly tuned in to trying to get a better biome going. I will look at the bland diet options.

I did a search and did not find that anyone has posted about consuming sourdough starter. Sourdough is lactobacillus and a live culture in the starter seems like it might help.

Cheers,

Mike

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Sounds like your well on the way to normal recovery and have typical mild IBS symptoms, if things get worse consult a Dr.
You might be overdoing the probiotic, I have not heard of anyone using your method.
One comment though, Vanco will kill lactobacillus but wont kill S.boulardi.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”