On the mend IBS Question

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
shooten
Regular User

On the mend IBS Question

Postby shooten » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Hello Everyone,

After two rounds of flagyl and two rounds of vancomycin taper/pulse dosing, I think I might have finally beat the beast. It has been 2 months since the last antibiotic. I have an appointment scheduled with my GI in a month (earliest he could get me in) to discuss how my recovery is coming along. I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced what I am experiencing in recovery.

Most of my BMs are formed but are coated in a lot of M with some occasional pink B on the tissue. I have usually 2-4 BMs a day. I have been careful with what I eat and have been taking fiber pills (psyllium fiber) and a few different probiotics. Stomach wise I feel good and feel like things are getting back to normal. Just wondering if other people have experienced BMs similar to mine during their recovery.

Thanks for your replies and hopefully in a couple months when I know I am fully over this I will post a story in the Cured portion of the forum!

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Re: On the mend IBS Question

Postby MrsM25 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Hello! Glad to hear you are in recovery! Everyone in the pits of this illness dreams of saying those words! I too am just a few days shy of the 6 week mark after taking 1 round of flagyl, 2 ten day courses of vanco 125mg and then a month long round of vanco 250mg followed directly with an FMT via colonoscopy. My BM’s are pretty similar minus the pink blood. In the very beginning following my FMT, I went over 2 weeks without having a formed BM. I also had tons of mucus and thought I was relapsing but my GI kept telling me just to hold off on testing and try to let the FMT work it’s magic. I will certainly say that over the course of these 6 weeks, I thought I was relapsing several times but I followed the 3 x a day for 3 days or longer rule and it always proved to be IBS. I still have mucus in my stool along with formed stool but regular sensations as you say and I am only going once, maybe twice a day. I have found that taking benefiber has helped me quite a bit and taking a Claritin tablet once a day seems to be helping as well. Just my personal experience. I believe I am suffering some mast cell issues following all of my struggles with the beast and recovery. Sounds to me that you are suffering from the PI-IBS that so many struggle with afterward including myself but nothing that sounds completely abnormal at this point. I wish you continued success and I too hope to post my success story as soon as I reach that comfortable point in this recovery process!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:05 am

YEAP! What you are describing is what most of us experienced during recovery , M is a sign that indicates that the gut is irritated and needs more time to heal. Make sure you are eating easy to digest foods and try not to take too many probiotics or fiber supplement as they can upset your gut too.

shooten
Regular User

Postby shooten » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Had a CT scan and it showed as normal. My GI said as long as everything is formed no need to worry about C diff. He said since I am past three months he is no longer concerned with C diff. Now I just have to figure out if I am suffering from PI-IBS or SIBO. Gotta love C diff, makes life hell when you have it and then leaves you with parting gifts once you have gotten rid of it.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:06 pm

Good news! I know the feeling though. The parting gifts are lovely aren’t they? I’m going to be tested for SIBO as well because I suffer from similar symptoms. Since taking the Claritin though, I no longer have the M when I go. I made an appointment with a functional nutrition doctor as well to see if she can help me. I also suffer from hashimoto’s thyroiditis so I’m hoping my diet can help in all areas.

shooten
Regular User

Postby shooten » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 pm

MrsM25, let me know how the meeting with the functional nutrition doctor goes. I have been thinking about seeing a nutrition person especially since my insurance will cover it to see if they can set me up with a good diet plan so I can add more variety to my diet since I stick to the handful of things I know don't bother me.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 pm

I definitely will! I go on March 7th. From what I understand, this doctor does a 2 appointment thing where they go over everything and do some testing and see what is the best individual plan for you. Then I go once a week until I have a good handle on it. I am limited too on what I eat although my diet has grown since first having my FMT but it’s still hard to know what to eat. The hardest part for me is I was always a high protein high fiber, lots of fruits and veggies diet. Before cdiff I went to the gym 3 times a week and was in the best shape of my life! Then after cdiff, all I could eat for awhile was toast, rice, chicken, applesauce, you know the story. I’ve slowly added in some veggies cooked of course. Can’t do anything raw yet. Hoping this will help me get a more balanced diet and help my autoimmune issues as well.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”