Recurrence? Advice needed

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
nc3
Brand New Poster

Recurrence? Advice needed

Postby nc3 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:44 am

Hi all,

I just want to start off by saying thank you for this board. It has helped me through the long days of uncertainty that come with c diff and given me hope when there doesn't seem to be any. I was hoping I would never have to post here, but it looks like I need some advice.

I received my diagnosis of c diff at the beginning of August of this year after being prescribed antibiotics three separate times to treat what they thought was traveler's D. I went on vanco for 10 days and while I immediately responded positively, I thought I started to relapse before going off the drugs. This relapse might have just been from eating gluten-I was off dairy but didn't know that through all this, I developed a severe gluten intolerance. I immediately went back in because I was still having bad symptoms and my doctor started me on Flagyl for 14 days, which seemed to kick it out of my system. I stopped taking Flagyl Sep. 3 and while I still had a little bit of D, it wasn't bad and I decided, with my doctor, to wait to see if it worsened or got better, especially with the changes of my diet and avoiding gluten.

Well, it did get better! I ended up getting pregnant around this time as well, which means that testing for celiac is out of the question, but I've been really strict about my gluten intake due to wanting to protect baby. I've had some loose days, but never more than 2-3x a day for a couple days at a time, and have been religiously taking Florastor and Culturelle every day. I have actually had some constipation during the past few months, which has been annoying, but I'll take it over the D. I've chalked these symptoms up to PI-IBS.

However, since starting my second trimester (around Thanksgiving), I've noticed some changes in my system that have seemed to get progressively worse. I've had more consistent D, though not every day, and last Saturday I had some really loose stools and went to the bathroom several times. I decided to take some Imodium, figuring that if it was c diff, it would only worsen my condition. I took Imodium when I had c diff before I had an official diagnosis (about 3-4 pills) and I felt like I was going to die with the severe cramping. This Saturday I only took 1 pill, and I immediately felt better. I didn't go to the bathroom until Sunday night, which was solid, and then again Tuesday night, which was again solid. However, yesterday (Wednesday), I went about 6-7 times and the majority of those times were watery D. I've gone 1 time so far today, and it has also been watery D. I also have a lot of stomach gurgling, which I had intensely when I had c diff. I should add that it looks like I have the flu as well (sore throat, sweating fever, congestion, all the fun stuff) and that has been for the past three days).

So, a few questions. Can a recurrence like this happen 3.5 months after finishing meds? I thought I might be in the clear, since I know the probability of recurrence goes down as time goes on. Should I try Imodium again? It seemed to help the first time this week and I didn't notice any of the symptoms I had when I took it when I had c diff. I can't take anything else, as I'm pregnant, so a lot of other meds are out of the question. Could my symptoms just be from being sick with the flu? It seems extreme to have D like this with the flu.

Any advice is helpful. I am planning to go to the doctor if it doesn't improve in the next couple of days.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recurrence? Advice needed

Postby NanciT » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 am

Hello nc3 and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It varies when people can relapse, but over 3 months is a long time. My BIG concern is the Imodium, do not take it. Get tested, if you have D call your GI or OB and get tested right away. The test is easy and I would get it checked now. I don't want to alarm you but with a history of CDIFF days of D need to be checked.
There are SO many changes with you it could be due to any of them( diet change, pregnancy,flu,etc) the thing to watch is persistant D.

The treatment you were given sounded like you went from Vanco to Flagyl which is typically backwards. Most start with Flagyl and move on to Vanco.

What confuses your case is not only the diet change, but we know pregnancy can change things and we ware also in the flu season and it's going around.

Please NO Imodium, get tested. It's the safest thing to do Hopefully it will be negative

Take Care

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”