First time sufferer

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ATobin
Brand New Poster

First time sufferer

Postby ATobin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:32 am

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with C Diff 2 weeks ago and was put on 14 day Vancomycin 125 mg 4x a day. I am approaching my last day on the antibiotics and I am freaking out about a relapse. I have had crohn's disease since 96 and had a resection in 2001. My disease is under control and I am taking Pentasa for my maintenance drug. As soon as I stop the antibiotics my Dr. has put me on Florastor Probiotic. I am really mad that I caught this because I haven't been in a hospital or doctors office or on antibiotics. I had my 5 year colonoscopy about 2 weeks before I got sick and that is the only thing I can think of where I caught this. Any advice would be appreciated. I have major anxiety when it comes to this type of thing.

Thanks

ATobin
Brand New Poster

Re: First time sufferer

Postby ATobin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:43 am

By the way I was tested positive with Toxin B producing C. Difficile detected by PCR. I would also like to add that my diarrhea started on a late Tuesday Dec 12th night-Wed morning (went to er to get fluids and blood test and stool test) but stools started to form around Thursday and less frequent and days after that kept improving and felt almost "normal" by Monday and was back on somewhat normal foods. I have felt fine up until late Tues evening Dec 26th but I kinda think it's my anxiety. I have had loose stools but no diarrhea yet. I hope it is just anxiety.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: First time sufferer

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:36 am

Hello ATobin and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for information for new posters. The majority of people are cured with one or two rounds of medication, so the odds are in your favor. We have had a couple of posters who have also had Crohn's as well as c difficile. I know one got diagnosed with Crohn's after c diff and one had it before. You can find out more by typing Crohn's into the search box and reading old posts. One poster who was around 20 years old did have relapsing c difficile along with Crohn's and opted to have a FMT done. Apparently it cured her of both problems.

I would try to stay calm and see how you do off the medication. Also, stick to a bland diet for the first few days when you are off meds - I imagine you have a diet that you follow for Crohn's anyway. If it looks as if your symptoms are coming back, then you need to call the doctor and ask to be retested. Talk to the doctor as well to see if going off the antibiotics might not trigger a flare of the Chron's. I would not know how to tell them apart, but I assume some symptoms must be different.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”