Pretty sure I'm starting to relapse.

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Pretty sure I'm starting to relapse.

Postby NanciT » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Ibs can last for a long time, you may want to change your diet. There are medications for IBS, I take Levsin and it helps a great deal. I also take VSL#3 which also helps with IBS

Hope things improve soon!

NanciT

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:09 pm

Hey, btw, I'm a believer in preparation. Maybe some of the following info could help you. Hospital labs offer much faster turn around times on C Diff testing. Because my FMT doctor was out of town, I ended up using a local hospital lab for my pre-procedure tests. Also, then I found out they give same day results for C Diff testing, and that my doctor just has to fax them a lab order, and then I just drop off a sample. I did this once with a scare about a month after my FMT, and it was less than 24 hrs before they contacted my doctor with the results. ...It could be expensive to do that. It would depend on your insurance coverage. Personally, I never understood why none of my doctors ordered my test this way. Why wait around 4-5 or so days for results. I started on Vanco twice without results due to symptoms. For your own peace of mind for this situation, or any future situations, call your local hospital labs directly. I explained to them I was a recurrent c diff sufferer and trying to find out if there was a means for me to obtain more expedient testing. They were very receptive and said it would be no problem to handle my testing and they are even open 24 hrs a day. This was a huge relief for me to know I have that option to at least find out quickly. Also, I even found a Pharmacy that keeps Dificid in stock. No lie, I had to call like 15 pharmacies. I found a Walgreens near a Hospital that is part of my Prescription coverage network that says they keep it in stock, because they get a lot of requests for it because they are located right by a hospital. So I feel prepared about that too... no having to wait 2-3 days for it to come in the mail if I ever have to take it.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 pm

I still have no clue what is going on. I have a pcr test order and the kit but have not had anything to submit that wouldn’t be rejected. I will submit it if things go that direction but so far I’m still up and down. Pains come and go. Weakness and appetite come and go. Anxiety steady as always.
I got my blood work back and it was all pretty much normal except my wbc Count was 12000 with normal being 11k and under. Neutrofils were elevated which can mean infection is present but I’m told stress/anxiety can cause that. It’s only slightly elevated but it was 12.7k last relapse and 10.5k first episode so I can’t really use that as a gauge. All other tests were fine.
After my initial episode I felt I was on a decline for about 2 weeks before relapsing. After that the declines for other relapses occurred over 4 days max before being for sure a relapse. I’m hoping it’s just ibs being fed by relapse anxiety. Here it is the 3rd and started this post on the 22nd. I just wish I knew which way it was going or some way to find out sooner. The whole thing just has me stressed out. I also have read about c diff presenting with constipation and worry that I’m experiencing that. I guess I need to continue to evaluate and hope for the best. Thank you to everyone for the support

FrankS
Regular User

Postby FrankS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:34 pm

I wonder if you can mix the stool with some saline solution so it can be presented to the lab?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:56 pm

That compares to adding sugar to a urine sample so you get treated for diabeties!
A stupid thing to do and it bypasses the very reason that formed stool is rejected!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 pm

I would ask your doctor to do a regular stool culture. Those can be any consistency. There are labs that will test stool for c difficile that is formed or soft. In my area, quest labs does, but it probably varies from place to place. However, if you get a positive test, you most likely would not treat unless your symptoms got worse. And if they get worse, you would test. I have tested positive for over a year on pcr, but negative on EIA, so I have not treated. A stool culture would rule out other pathogens.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”