That smell

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
midway
New User

That smell

Postby midway » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:30 pm

I'm curious that no one in this forum ever discusses that identifying smell that C diff has. I dealt with very recurrent C diff last year, and I finally went off my last course in November. The next month, I had a real scare with D that really reminded me of the original infection. However, it didn't have the C diff smell that every other relapse had.

When we talk about the different guidelines for deciding whether you may be experiencing a relapse, how come we don't talk about the smell? Is it not reliable?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: That smell

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Some people have it and others don't. I only had it once or twice with numerous,relapses and I had it once with no positive test or relapse.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:13 pm

I never had it at all, even with 4 relapses. I think it's very individual

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:33 am

The sense of smell is an individual thing, what's offensive or unusual to your nose might be normal to me, the c.diff smell is individual and no use in definate diagnosis.
Nurses say they recognise the c.diff smell and there's been a few sniffer dogs that have been trained to detect if a patient has the infection but odour is not a good or recognised indication.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”