Relapse?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Hellerhs
New User

Relapse?

Postby Hellerhs » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:09 pm

CDiff is very cruel! Thought I was over it! Took in a stool sample couple Saturdays ago, they couldn't test it, to well formed. The Dr told me it was safe to assume it's gone. Been taking probiotics every day, the 25 billion ones and was feeling 100%. Last night had weird abdominal rumblings and today had 3 rounds of bloody weird smelly diarrhea and lower abdomen pain. I was exposed to coworker with stomach flu Fri but this feels like CDiff again. Took stool specimen in after work . Do Dr's typically just give you more of the same antibiotics? I was on Flagyl 4 times a day and hated it! Plus if it didn't eliminate it 100% the first time what's the point of doing it again?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse?

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:22 pm

The FLU is going around, even for those who had the flu vaccine. Try not to jump to conclusions although it is every difficult. Give yourself a little time. I would call your GI because of the Blood you have mentioned here, that is always something to be careful with especially if it occurs again, always best to get that checked out

NanciT

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:00 pm

No, Flagyl is not supposed to be given a second time for a relapse. As a matter of fact, many c diff experts don't give it at all anymore due to higher relapse rate and horrible side effects. See your doctor and if it's a relapse, your doctor will probably consider vancomycin or Dificid. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon. Don't wait around to contact your doctor if you're having multiple bouts of bloody diarrhea a day. C diff can make you very sick very fast.

Hellerhs
New User

Postby Hellerhs » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:02 am

This has been such a weird experience! I was so sure it was CDiff, but today I'm feeling a little better and not so sure. It's so frustrating, I hurried home from work, collect a stool sample and rushed it to the lab. This morning I got a call from the lab saying they couldn't use my specimen, when I asked why the lady said because I didn't put my birth date on the label. So now I'm pissed, I said nobody said anything at all to me about having to write anything on the label, I assumed the lab printed out something to put on the label when I gave it to them, I only wrote my name on it as a safety precaution. I then told her to just write the stupid date on the bottle and test it, she said it was already thrown out! So I had to leave work go pick up new kit and deliver to the lab. I may have been rude when I returned it, I told the kid to just make the best of it, yesterday's specimen was more better but they threw it away so now they have to use the second rate sample.

It amazes me how much incompetence there is in the medical industry! When I was in the ER I was only able to give them a small sample, the bonehead nurse kid who had to pour it into a vial actually knocked it over and was scooping it off the counter with the cap....omg!!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”