acid reflux during vanco

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.

acid reflux during vanco

Postby posta » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:28 am

dear all,
tomorrow is my final, 14th day, of vanco (first round and first try at kicking this bug out).
i mostly felt fine in the past days, no symptoms, just overall anxiety and very mild cramps few times a day. BM is normal, formed.
i have been very cautious when it comes to food, cut out all sugar except two teaspoons of manuka honey a day, ate cooked vegetables, chicken, rice, potatoes... did experimented a bit in the past two days, with brussell sprouts and sauerkraut and beet root raw juice with lemon - too early for that, even though i didnt have any major disturbances i did felt some acid reflux starting yesterday afternoon.
today i feel it subsidied, but not completely and i feel a bit of nausea and acid.

my question, after this too long intro, is / did any of you experienced increased acidity from the stomach, sort of acid reflux, while on vanco?
the trouble is that i take it at times when my stomach is mostly empty, so that might cause some irritation, i assume.
i also noticed that my tongue changed colour and i have some dark brown patches. must say it disturbed me a little when i saw it yesterday:(
then i assumed its from vanco liquid, but if it affected my toungue colour, it might disturbe my stomach linings aswell.
what do you think?

apart from all that, i am pretty scared of days after stopping vanco. i did started it pretty quickly, only after 3 days of D and the minute i got results i was put on my first vanco dose, i really did have mild case of cdiff, but still, i feel scared that this thing might linger in me from now on, i am scared of all the future antibiotic usage, i am scared of sudden relapse without aparent reason... this thing really can mess up one's mind. and when i think that just few weeks ago i was eating burgers and chocolate and enjoyed it... i know most of us share the same thoughts and fears, so thanks for listening to me and for giving me space to ask, find comfort and vent.

best to you all, x

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: acid reflux during vanco

Postby NanciT » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Hang in there, you are nearly done with treatment and hopefully this will take care of it. There are various symptoms/side effects from Vanco, mine didn't come until after I was off it. I did have acid reflux but that was after I completed it. Everyone is different.

The fear you have is common, something we all go through. It takes time, lots of time. Just remember to take it one day at a time, sounds like you are going easy on the diet which are all good things.

Hoping for brighter days ahead for you!

NanciT

cdiff454
Regular User

Postby cdiff454 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:48 pm

Haha, I developed what I thought was simple acid reflux after my c diff, but eventually it became esophagitis and duodenitis. Months later I still have it and I have to be very careful when drinking any alcohol (1 glass max).

I do have a gag reflex every morning when I wake up where I dry heave a few times and then my throat settles down for most of the day.

Had an upper endoscopy done to diagnose it all. No idea what caused it, I am neg for h pylori. My GI is convinced it's due to upsetting my natural Flora balance, I don't know though.

Hopefully yours isn't so long lasting.

Postby posta » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:16 am

dear NanciT,
thank you so much for the kind words and the encouragement, really means a lot.
i managed the acid reflux yesterday, seems like that sauerkraut and fresh beetroot juice was making trouble, probably was too early for that kind of food experiment. back to my regular steamed veggies and chicken, better safe then sorry.
one more day to go on vanco and then / fingers crossed. i would really really really want this to work, cdiff is scary thing to deal with:(
wish you all the best, x

NanciT wrote:
> Hang in there, you are nearly done with treatment and hopefully this will
> take care of it. There are various symptoms/side effects from Vanco, mine
> didn't come until after I was off it. I did have acid reflux but that was
> after I completed it. Everyone is different.
>
> The fear you have is common, something we all go through. It takes time,
> lots of time. Just remember to take it one day at a time, sounds like you
> are going easy on the diet which are all good things.
>
> Hoping for brighter days ahead for you!
>
> NanciT

shooten
Regular User

Postby shooten » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:46 pm

I wish I would have seen this earlier. I had some bad acid reflux issues while on vanco. I was on the pill form of vanco. I would get really bad bouts of acid reflux once every week or so. I wouldn't even be able to go to work. I called my GI to ask about it and he asked when I was taking the vanco. I would have one in the morning on an empty stomach. He told me to stop doing that. They said vanco and stomach acid don't get along and to always make sure I had something in my stomach when taking vanco. After that I made sure to always eat something before taking my vanco and that solved most of my issues.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”