colds

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

colds

Postby AnxiousJ » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:18 am

This may sound silly but even after 1.5 yrs of being okay I am still very gun shy about taking any meds. Husband and kids have bad colds and I started feeling crummy yesterday. I loaded up on garlic cloves, tea, water, and saline rinses. I woke up today with pretty loose bm. I know garlic can help a lot bc it can work as a natural antibiotic but is it safe for those who are post c diff? Will it kill good gut flora? Also, I was going to take an elderberry zinc lozenge but read that zinc can potentially kill off good gut flora. Thank you.
Last edited by AnxiousJ on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roy
Administrator

Re: colds

Postby roy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:11 pm

Garlic is a laxative!

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi, I don’t necessarily buy the health food store sales pitch that garlic and oregano oil only kill off bad bacteria. Antimicrobial is possibly just antimicrobial to our friendly bacteria too. I haven’t been able to find any legit evidence on this. Make sure you intake good food sources of vitamins c and e. Also arm and hammer makes a great saline nasal spray. And during my last cold I used mucinex. Preventing a cold may be impossible, but there’s a lot you can due to prevent a resulting respiratory infection.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:45 pm

The way to safely use garlic is to inhale the fumes with hot water/stream to treat sinusitis.
Supposedly onion can be used the same way.

If what you have is a cold, it is a virus and it just has to run its course. You just treat the symptoms, like the cough, stuffiness, etc. The pharmacist can suggest the best OTC preparations to use. I do take zinc lozenges to hopefully shorten the duration although the evidence is not conclusive, but it can’t hurt.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:28 am

Sometimes colds can give loose bms too. I don't know if it is the virus itself or the postnasal drip that one swallows, but it is not unusual.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:41 pm

Thank you. So, does that mean I should no longer eat raw minced garlic? I'm actually feeling a little beter today. I made a big batch of lemon honey tea. I boiled and then simmered and water, lemon with honey and ginger and then reduced it until it was more syrupy. My cough is a lot better today.

This is what I read that worried me as I used to always rely on this kind of stuff during cold season.

http://www.contagionlive.com/news/consu ... -difficile
Last edited by AnxiousJ on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi, that article was really interesting, especially about livestock. Thanks for sharing that!

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:40 am

That article was concerning since all the healthy foods I eat are high in zinc, such as nuts, spinach, lean organic meats. Not sure what to do now.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:59 pm

I have taken zinc, vitamin C, immune boosters and cold medicines when necessary since having c-diff in Sept 2014. I have never heard of there being any harm to gut flora by my doctors or anywhere else. I have continued to take probiotics daily as well in an effort to keep my good gut bacteria always in balance. The article is interesting though. I only take things with zinc when I'm getting sick though. To be honest, if you worry about every thing that you hear or read, you will drive yourself crazy. Out of all the posters that we have had on here who contracted c-diff, it was never from zinc. It's almost always from taking antibiotics that wiped out their good gut bacteria, being in hospitals or other medical facilities. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but if you are feeling really poorly and natural remedies aren't working, I say take the mucinex or sudafed or whatever. :-)

Feel better,
Lisa

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Thank you, Lisa. Yes, I definitely do agree but it sure is difficult. I too have continued with Florastor and VSL3 and I guess that's the best I can do.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”