should i treat candida while on vanco?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.

should i treat candida while on vanco?

Postby posta » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 am

i was going through my 10 days old lab results and i just realized that the high level of candida have been detected in my stool sample (along with clostridium, of course).
i am on vanco, 7th day of 14, and i was wondering should i try and treat candida simultaneosly? i am worried as i read somewhere that candida actually help clostridia survive in the intestines and of course i immediately jumped into terrible conclusion that once i stop vanco my candida will just bring clostridia back from the dead. and then we will start new vicious cycle...
i might be just going crazy here, but if any of you had similar experiences and have any idea how to treat candida in the gut, please, share.
good health and best to you all,
a

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: should i treat candida while on vanco?

Postby georgina » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 am

I'm afraid the antibiotics and Candida overgrowth go hand in hand. As long as you will be taking treatment for Cdiff and eat carbs you will deal with Candida. We cannot tell you weather or not you should treat your Candida issues , because you are asking for medical advice and we do not give that.
Florator is a yeast based probiotic that is eficient against Cdiff and also Candida , so it might help you.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:40 am

I agree with Georgina. Taking probiotics such as Florastor can actually help with balancing the candida as well. I would also stay away from sugar and go to a low carb diet. You can stop candida overgrowth naturally through diet and supplements.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:44 pm

I developed horrible oral thrush after my second round of Flagyl. I treated it repeatedly. It came back after each of the times I subsequently went on Vanco for relapses also. Interestingly, my FMT cured my thrush! I can’t even explain that but it happened! Your good bacteria and yeast keep Candida in check too. And just like you’ve had c Diff overgrowth you can end up with Candida overgrowth. I do wonder if taking Diflucan during c Diff recovery contributed to me relapsing. I would not treat unless you have too. Because the treatment is going to kill off the good yeasts too which may help keeping the c Diff under control. Ceasing as much sugar intake as possible is important.

cdiff454
Regular User

Postby cdiff454 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:20 am

I developed oral thrush/burning mouth syndrome following my original vancomycin treatment last year. It was terrible, I had a never ending post nasal drip and burning mouth for almost a year straight. Finally I went on difulcan for about 8wks and it went away.

When I had my recurrence this year I did dificid instead of Vanco and never had any thrush issues. In fact I feel healthier now than I did before my original c diff! My BMs are also better than they ever have been as far as I can remember. Long live dificid.

Difulcan did have some annoying side effects (mostly nausea). If you don't have any symptoms of candida I'm not sure I'd worry about it too much yet.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:04 pm

It's another normal gut flora that only needs attention if it's causing symptoms.
Don't treat just because of test results.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Roy, feel better.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:12 pm

My mom was treated for thrush with diflucan while taking vanco or flagyl. Don't remember which.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”