FMT successes and failures?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MrsM25
Regular Contributor

FMT successes and failures?

Postby MrsM25 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 pm

Well, I’m officially scheduled for FMT on January 5, 2018 following 2 relapses on vanco. I am currently on vanco 250mg 4x a day up until my procedure. Most of what I hear is that FMT has a great cure rate and I am very hopeful but I can’t help but feel slightly nervous that there is still a chance of failure. I’m hoping to be rid of cdiff finally with FMT. So, I would like to hear anyone’s personal experience with FMT and any suggestions as far as what to do before and after. My doctor already advised me that I will have to take an Imodium prior to the procedure. Thanks!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT successes and failures?

Postby NanciT » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:06 pm

We have a thread on FMT if you look below with a great deal of information. I am surprised your GI is not trying Dificid first before going to an FMT.

It's also important to be on medication prior to the FMT, you can find all of that below. I am sure other's will jump in that have had them

NanciT

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 pm

My GI won’t prescribe dificid, he told me that he doesn’t prescribe it at all. I’ve done multiple rounds of vanco now which I will be on up until the FMT after multiple relapses on it. So, I’m hoping this works. I feel better on the vanco but I relapse shortly after I come off of it. FMT is my only hope with dificid not being an option. Thanks for the info, I’ll take a look!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 pm

I was on that dose of vanco before fmt and in hindsight, I wish that I had taken it 3x per day because it seemed to irritate my system and then the laxative prep did too. I think it was overkill in my case and contributed to my PI-IBS. But, everyone is different.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Beth22, was your FMT successful?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:43 am

Yes, but I had to take an antibiotic 7 months later and it came back worse than ever. But, I had terrible food intolerances and SIBO afterwards. But, yes, I was c diff negative until I took Cipro.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:49 am

Oh I am so sorry to hear that Beth22!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:33 am

It's true that the FMT has the highest cure rate , of course there were few cases that needed the second FMT but most people get cured from the first one. Make sure that everything is done according to the protocol : full course of treatment for Cdiff until FMT that will be stopped 48h before the procedure , laxative prep the day before. Crossing fingers that everything goes well!

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:33 am

My doctor said to stay on the vanco up to the procedure, should I be concerned about that? His nurse keeps calling me and giving me the info over the phone.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi, everyone has given you great info so far. My doc had me cease Vanco 48 hours before procedure. That seems to be what everyone on here is told. If that is not his instructions you should question this. I mean why would he want it active in your system and kill off the donor bacteria. Btw, usually probiotics are NOT recommended post FMT because they don’t want competing bacteria. Prebiotic foods are very important to feed the new bacteria.... be excited!!! Success rate is way higher than anything you’ve done so far. But remember sometimes it takes more than one FMT. If it were to fail don’t have yourself as a hopeless case or anything :-)

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:00 am

Thought I would chime in regarding the fmt. I've made a few posts in the fmt forum detailing my experiences. The hardest part of the fmt is the worry. The procedure itself is quick and not that bad at all. Even the prep is no more that a hassle the night or morning before. So please don't worry like me and go in with the confidence that you are getting the best success rate treatment! And it will be over before you know it. I stopped meds 2 days before. Took Imodium 1 hour before and another immediately after. I didn't take any probiotics after my second fmt and ate food that would feed the good bacteria and promote
Overall immune system health. But still avoiding gut irritants and eating too boldly. Of course check with the doctor regarding what they recommend post procedure that they see as most suitable for your case. You've got this! I will say it does work but it's not a miracle cure for all. some have irritable bowel syndrome. I've got plenty of worried it's back posts from off days too.

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:55 am

Thank you everyone, I guess it’s so scary because nothing has worked so far so my automatic thought process goes to thinking, well this won’t work either. This site is awesome and everyone is so helpful and encouraging. I seriously don’t know how I would’ve gotten through thus far without everyone’s advice and kind words.

MKW, I called my GI office and asked to clarify the instructions. They said they would mail them to me so I will wait to receive them. I questioned the antibiotic stop time but they just said they would mail me instructions.

Davidtm, thank you! It’s so hard not to worry as you know. When you are in the midst of it, it feels hopeless so your mind automatically goes there. It’s more like I’ll believe it when I see it. Trying to be more optimistic and excited that this will hopefully be it. Did you say your second one cured you?

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 pm

I'm on Dificid at the moment. The Dr is giving me through the weekend and I see him on Monday to discuss FMT. I want to get it done before Xmas. They may not be a realistic dream, but I'm so tired of felling yucky and nite being able to go out to dinner or even shopping with friend.
Hope it gets done and works!

MrsM25
Regular Contributor

Postby MrsM25 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:01 pm

I hope you can do FMT also Napper! How long have you been on dificid? Sometimes they want you on it for a period of time before the FMT is done. I will be on vanco for over a month before the FMT on January 5th. I know how it feels to feel awful. I am pulling for you! Good luck on scheduling! And I hope FMT works in both of our cases! Fingers crossed

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:16 am

I had to take the vanco until the procedure too. The doctor said the laxative prep would wash it out. I guess it did, but I think stopping a day or two before is better. For my second one, I did stop 36 - 48 hours before. Don't remember exactly.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”