Probiotic and Dificid

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Napper
Regular User

Probiotic and Dificid

Postby Napper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:21 am

I'm currently taking Dificid and a probiotic. The probiotic in taking had 1.5 billion cells of lactobacillus gasseri, bifidobacterium bifidum and bifidobacterium logum.

My question is this... Is that enough? Do any of you recommend something else? All this probiotic stuff has me confused. And when I go off Dificid, should I increase or decrease probiotics?

Thank you so much!

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Probiotic and Dificid

Postby amg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Napper, as far as I know, the only probiotics that the medical literature sort of supports using for c diff are saccharomyces boulardii (Florastor is one brand of this. Many have used that here with good result, and some hospitals give it to all their patients on antibiotics.) and lactobacillus rhamnosus.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2805518/

https://www.healio.com/gastroenterology ... d-diarrhea

I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong there.

A c diff expert Dr. Colleen Kelly in Rhode Island, recommends her patients drink kefir a few times each day during treatment and into recovery. (I'd have to look up the specific amount and frequency she recommends).

My daughter drank kefir and ate Bubbies probiotic pickles frequently during her treatment and early recovery. (Sometimes she drank a shot of the pickle juice!)

Note - some folks get increased GI symptoms from probiotics, so you might want to consider that as an issue with your continued GI symptoms on Dificid. Some people need to decrease their dosage or change to another probiotic.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Amg, thanks for the info. I looked up Florestor. Do you know the dosage? Like, how many mg per day. They come in 250 mg tablets. Is that all I would need to take? I won't be able to do Kefir unless it comes in tablet form.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:10 pm

I'd also like to throw in a different probiotic suggestion. I was diagnosed in 1/16 and finally it cleared 4/16. I had 2 failed Flagyl and 1 successful Vanco but it returned 3 weeks after I completed the Vanco a week after taking Bactrim for a UTI. I've wondered if it is possible that the Vanco caused the UTI as that was my first one ever. Anyway, I then took 10 days of Difficid and worked so far.

I took 2 Florastor and one Bio K Plus for a very long time. Bio K Plus has been tested a lot and has been widely used in Canadian hospitals when hospitalized patients are on antibiotics. I encourage you to look it up. Dr. Stuart Johnson (a fabulous c diff expert I saw after my infection) recommended it if I need future antibiotics. It is costly but I believe it was worth it. I now have mild ibs 1.5 yrs later and see a GI from time to time. I have since stopped taking the Bio K and now take 1 Florastor and 1 VSL3 a day. If/when I have to take a future antibiotic I will probably go back to Florastor and Bio K Plus. However, many have continued taking VSL3 as it is a really good quality probiotic as well.
Last edited by AnxiousJ on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Napper
Regular User

Postby Napper » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:16 am

Ok, I ordered Florester. I also ordered Hyperbiotics PRO-15 Probiotics - 60 Daily Time Release Pearls - 15x More Effective than Probiotic. It has lactobacillus rhamnosus. Should I be taking both at the same time? Or finish one and then start the other?

Anxious... I'll probably go to VAL3 one my Cdiff is cured. Thanks for your help!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”