My son may have caught my CDiff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Hellerhs
New User

My son may have caught my CDiff

Postby Hellerhs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:32 pm

My worst nightmare, my son told me started having Diarrhea yesterday. I just finished my antibiotics Tuesday and and feeling better everyday. This news was devastating! My question is, I caught my CDiff from being on 3 rounds of antibiotic Clindamycin. A healthy 22 year old like my son gets exposed, should his body naturally fight it off? I think I was so devasted by it from my guts being wiped out from clindamycin, wondering if he does have it if he will fare better? Poor kid has already has ongoing nausea issues, don't think he could handle the 4x a day Flagyl I suffered through!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: My son may have caught my CDiff

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 pm

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion he has CDIFF, see how he does over the next few days. If it continues, I would take him to your MD and have him tested. It would be rare if he caught it from you. I know we have had several on the site who have thought their family member may have gotten it, but maybe 1 or 2 cases I have read about.

If he did test positive, I would request Vancomycin and NOT flagyl which is very difficult to take.

Let us know how he does. Hopefully he starts to feel better

NanciT

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 pm

I also wanted to mention if he has issues with Nausea, have him try "Sea Bands". They can really help!

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:53 am

As Nanci said , spreading the infection to family members is really rare especially since he wasn't on any antibiotics recently or PPI's. For a peace of mind you can have him tested , in the mean time you can start him on some probiotics and a bland diet.

Hellerhs
New User

Postby Hellerhs » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks everyone, false alarm though, *phew*

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:31 am

Great news, glad to hear it. There is a bad FLU going around even for those of us who received the FLU vaccine.

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”