Post C diff and antibiotics

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Aoifexx2
New User

Post C diff and antibiotics

Postby Aoifexx2 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi all,

Firstly thanks a million for all your advice in my prior post it helped a lot.

I'm 27 and about 6 weeks post infection. Every Winter I get a nasty chest infection that sometimes takes 2/3 antibiotics to clear. Anyway at the moment I can feel it coming on and I'm petrified to take antibiotics. I've tried to read up on it my question is going forward an I lightly to get c diff if I take any antibiotics at all or certain types has anyone any experience with this?

Thanks

Aoife

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Post C diff and antibiotics

Postby amg » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Are you saying you get a bacterial infection in your lungs every year?? An athlete in your 20s??? If I were you, I'd be darn sure it's not actually a virus. Most chest infections in younger adults are viral and do not need antibiotics. Most bronchitis is viral and clears on its own after several days or a couple of weeks or so. Antibiotics are only for bacterial infections like bacterial pneumonia.

Make sure this year it's not a virus! It is a dangerous practice to go on antibiotics if they're not necessary. It develops resistant bacteria, and it can cause other bad problems like c diff.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:06 am

You can have a sputum test if you cough up phlegm. I did that before and only once was it bacterial.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:42 am

In april I had a very nasty purulent bronchitis that I thought it bacterial and I was almost convinced that I will need to take antibiotics. Of course , my pneumo doc knows my Cdiff history and had me do two sputum cultures in two different days. Surprisingly the cultures were negative , and the bronchitis was viral so she put me on Inosine prabonex that is a mild antiviral and also boosts immune response and I cleared the infection I a few days.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:18 am

Sounds like your treating a viral infection with antibiotics!
If you had that many bacterial infections your lungs would be scarred!
Antibiotics will not cure viral infections, having to take several courses indicates antibiotics are not curing it, it's just running its natural course and healing itself.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Aoifexx2!

I hope that you don't get another chest infection.

I am a big believer in using a combination of 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and salt to help prevent infections. I've brushed my teeth and gargled each day, with the combination, for decades. I feel that it can help prevent various opportunistic organisms from getting any further into my system and preventing infection.

I also use it for bug bites and minor wounds. Great stuff.

Have you ever considered using 3% hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and salt; or are you currently using the combination?

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”