UTI 1 year post c diff! Macrobid?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
s123
New User

UTI 1 year post c diff! Macrobid?

Postby s123 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 pm

Hello everyone!

I hope you're all well. I had c diff in October last year, treated with flagyl, relapse a few days later and then finally cleared with another round of flagyl (I feel I got really lucky). Since then I've had mild stomach issues but nothing major since I've always had IBS anyway so am used to it. I started taking a probiotic every single day since and still do to this day and for 3 months post c diff drank kefir everyday. I am really hoping this was enough to restore my gut as I was diagnosed with a UTI on Sunday (13 months post c diff). I instructed the doctor they HAD to give me macrobid (I knew more about c diff and probiotics than the doctor which was really scary and I'm 20). I am also taking 2 florastor a day with this round. I also have mild tonsillitis but no way am I doing a round of antibiotics for that.

My issue here is, due to the tonsillitis, I've been taking a lot of vitamin C and of course the probiotics for the antibiotics and had a mild stomach upset today and obviously freaked out. Is it possible to just over-do the good bacteria and also do you think I've restored my stomach enough over this time to actually be okay with taking these antibiotics? I feel I just need success stories from macrobid after c diff. Is there anything else I can be doing to prevent? My anxiety after that disease has never calmed down and my heart goes out to everyone who has had to deal with it.

Thanks if you can share!

S xx

s123
New User

Re: UTI 1 year post c diff! Macrobid?

Postby s123 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:19 pm

P.s to those who helped me with what I thought was a relapse at the start of this year, it turned out to just be food poisoning!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Yes, the probiotics can cause an upset. macrobid is a low offender and several on the site have taken it for a UTI. Give yourself some time, there is always a risk but I actually took Keflex for a UTI 1 year out( and I had CDIFF 1 year, 5 relapses) but thankfully no issues.

I know the fear, we all have it. Hang in there, don't over do the probiotics and hopefully you will be back to where you were!!

NanciT

s123
New User

Postby s123 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 am

Thank you Nanci! Definitely put my mind at ease. Xx

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 am

One point I want to mention, with any UTI, always get a CULTURE and sensitivities done. It will be clear which antibiotics will clear the infection, we also have a list here on the site of which one's are "less" offenders. Macrobid is one of the less offenders and you can always put that in the search bar and find threads on it.

Hope you feel better soon!

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”